𝒳𝐼

I turn the key as slowly and quietly as possible and I sigh when the door opens without a creek.
"Dad?" I ask into the house but I don't get a greeting back making my shoulders drop in relaxation.
I push off my shoes and put them neatly away, afterwards I hang up my school bag and my jacket.

I turn around and make a small jump gasping in surprise.
"Bloody hell you scared me dad." He's standing a few feet away.
His body covered in the same blue button up and the gray jeans he wore yesterday.
I gulp and gauge his reaction to see how his mood is today.
He let me off the whole week pretty often and I'm still waiting for the big boom to come.

"You're late." His voice is deep but I still can't make out if he's mad.
I fiddle with my fingers and look down at the ground.
"I'm sorry I got stuck up in art class."

"You're still waisting your time with unnecessary classes Melody I told you to focus didn't I?" He steps closer his tone soft as he brushes my cheek lightly.
My breath hitches but he doesn't notice as he tilts his head.
"I know but you said I could take the classes as long as I'm good enough in the others as well."
A satisfied smile makes it's way onto his lips and he pats my shoulder.

"That's right and as long as you hold this up everything is going to be good." He says and for someone who doesn't know him it seemed like normal words but I know that this is a threat from him and I'm taking it seriously.
"Should I start making dinner?" I ask him and he nods as he walks past me to put on his shoes and his jacket.
"I'm driving up to Mason to talk about business dinner is ready by then?" He turns his head and looks at me as he opens the front door.

I nod quickly and he gives me a smile.
"I love you Mels."
"I love you too dad." I tell him and he leaves the house and I let my shoulders drop.
I drag myself into the kitchen and pull out some potato and a steak for him.
It's not good if he's driving up to Mason because I know how he's going to be when he gets back and I don't know if my plan is going to work if he comes home drunk again.

I wrote Millie that I would come don't ask me why because I don't know myself. Dad would never let me that's why I'm not even bothering to ask him.
I cook up his meal and put it on a plate placing it in the microwave so he'll warm it up later. If he can walk straight still.
I write him a note where to find his meal and another one saying that I had a headache and got to sleep early.

I rush into my room and pull out the spare pillows under my bed huffing when I fall back onto my butt.
"Ouch." I whine but quickly compose myself and place the pillows under my duvet so he thinks I'm sleeping.
If he's going to be drunk he's not even going to check after me and if he does this is going to work out fine.

I change into different clothes and pull my long hair out of my face putting it up with a clasp.
My phone rings somewhere in the house and I groan.
I don't have time to answer the phone if I don't leave any minute I'm scared I run into dad again.
I rush out of my room and quickly go to my jacket searching for my phone in the pocket.
Of course it's not in the first pocket I grab into.
I have such bad luck it's ridiculous.

Luckily it's in the other pocket and I get the face time call not looking at the ID.
The display forms a sharp jawline and brown curls that are all over the place.
"Timmy!" I say excitedly when I recognize my brother on the screen. He chuckles at my excitement.
"Hey Mel." He says softly and my heart warms up at the nickname. It's like he knows I don't like dad calling me Mels and he's making up for it.

"How you doing?" He asks me as I plop down on the couch.
"I'm good I was actually heading out right now." His eyebrows raise in surprise and I chuckle.
"I know Melody and going out. World wonder."

"Your dad letting you go out on a Friday night is more of a world wonder." He says and I tense up.
We're not discussing dad often but he hinted at him when I was in Paris as well.
"How's Lilly?" I change the topic and he rolls his eyes laughing.
"You're the worst at distracting but she's good. She's out with some friends and I'm bored." He lays down and I chuckle.

"If you were in London I would take you with me but I don't really think it's your scene. It isn't mine either." I say the last part quietly but he still catches onto it.
"Why are you going then?"
"You know this girl Millie I told you about?"

"The actress?"

"Yes she asked me to go and I couldn't really say no because she's nice to me and that doesn't happen often. Well and I couldn't do this to Nick and skip a party he wants to go too." I tell him and he nods.
I stand up and pull on my shoes while I talk to him.
"Maybe you could come to London next month, I could show you around." I try to make it sound casual but in reality I really want him here.

I like the quietness in school but when I get home it's so loud that I'm listening to every step dad takes.
I'm over analyzing if he's moving aggressively or lazily, I listen where he goes if he's near my room and it's driving me mad.
"I see if I can make it. Is your dad home?" He asks me suspiciously and I put on my jacket to not look at the screen.
"No he's still working. Listen I need to go now I'll call you tomorrow." I rush out and grab a small bag.

"Uh Yeah of course, have fun at your party." He tells me bewildered at my sudden behavior. I nod picking up my phone and before I can press the button to hang up the call he stops me.
"Hey Mel."

"Yes?"

"I love you." He smiles at me and I give him a genuine one back getting a warm feeling in my stomach.
My eyes burn and I hate myself for getting sentimental so quickly.
"Love you too Timmy. See you." I tell him and disconnect the call.
I take a deep breath and wipe away the tear that escaped.
Stop pitying yourself Melody and get a grip.
I open the front door and leave the house to meet up with Nick and go to the party.