𝒳𝐼𝐼

I shiver as the cold night air hits my skin and my breath comes out in small puffs of air.
The ground under my feet vibrates at the music coming from the house as some teenagers stumble in front of the yard already drunk.
"Hey what are you doing here? Come in!" I jump when someone touches my shoulder and I turn to see Millie smiling at me her pupils more dilated than usually.
My eyes widen when she pushes me into a hug and I let out a surprised squeal but she doesn't notice.

"I was waiting for Nick he told me he'd be here in 10 minutes." I tell her and she furrows her brows.
"You don't have to wait in the cold you're going to freeze to death-" she speaks up but gets interrupted by someone grabbing the plant beside her and puking their guts out in it.
I can't help myself from forming a disgusted face and Millie chuckles at my expression.
"What I wanted to say is that Nick can enter the house alone he's old enough." Millie continues as she grabs onto my wrist making my wince in the process. She loosens her grip and looks at me concerned. "Everything okay?"

"Yes I'm just a bit sensible." Lie.
"I better wait for Nick but you can go back inside." I tell her and she frowns at me.
I stumble forward when someone pushes into me and I turn around to see a couple making out and not noticing that they were running into me.
Millie shrugs her shoulders and starts to go back inside dancing in the progress.
"When you need anything you know where to find me." She yells after me and I smile at her politely.
What's taking you so long Nick?

As if on point my phone starts to ring.
"Nick?" I ask putting the phone against my ear trying to tune out the loud music.
"Melody I am so sorry but-"
"No please don't tell me you're standing me up. I can't go in there alone Nick!" I say my knees starting to wobble from the cold.
A child screams in the background of the phone and Nick tells it to shut it.
"I'm home alone with Luke I thought my parents were gonna be back but they said they're going to take- shut up Luke, just shut up for two minutes I'm going to put the frozen CD in any second- they're going to take longer." I sigh at his words because I know he can't change the situation.

"Okay I think I'm going to head home then." I tell him because in no way I'm going inside that house alone.
"No! You can't just miss the party of your life. Who knows when you're going to get invited again, do it for me pleaseee." He begs and I hear his brother cry in the background.
I hold the phone away from my ear and hear Nick trying to calm down his little brother.
"Sorry I'm back." He tells me and I put the speaker back to my ear not hearing a sound from his brother.
"I don't want to go." I tell him honestly. I'm going to feel left out the only person I'm talking to is Millie and still we aren't that close.

"Melody Parks you didn't get ready and sneaked out of your house to just go back now. You're going to swing your ass into that house and make out with someone get drunk and be a normal teenager because that's what you deserve a normal life." He tells me and I roll my eyes even though he can't see it.
Me and drinking of course.
"Don't roll your eyes at me." My eyes widen at his words. How the hell did he know..?
"Okay I'm going." I say just to stop him from being totally over dramatic.
He's right though, I sneaked out and took the risk of dad finding out I don't want to waste that now.
"That's what I want to hear now move because Luke is getting impatient and I just gave him ten bucks to shut up for five minutes. I don't have another ten bucks." He says and I laugh.
"Okay have fun." I tell him.
"Yeah you too, I love you Mel."

I cut the line and turn around letting out a sigh at the view of the big house in front of me.
Don't be such a coward Melody.
I put my phone away and make my way up the steps pushing the front door open.
I am welcomed with loud music and warm air, the smell of people dancing and drinking hitting my nostrils.
Okay first task find something to drink.
I dodge the strangers that are dancing in the hall and make my way past couples or probably strangers making out.
Luckily I find the kitchen pretty quickly and I make my way behind the kitchen counter to search for a soda.

I grab a glass from the cabinet as someone steps up behind me.
"You're here." I turn around surprised and let the glass fall in the process.
His hand slips from his side and quickly catches the glass before it can crash against the floor and split into thousand of parts.
"Thanks." I breath out when he offers me the glass back.
I try to see if he's drunk too but I can't really tell because his eyes are always so dark.
"Millie invited me." I tell him even though I didn't want to start a conversation with him but he's the only person I know here besides from Millie.
Louis nods his head his eyes unfocusing as if he's confirming something.

I tilt my head to look at him better and notice that he sadly looks really good in his tight shirt, his fluffy hair parted.
When his eyes focus back on mine I divert my eyes and I hear him chuckle as he turns to the fridge to pull out some sprite.
He opens the bottle and pours the liquor into my glass making me furrow my brows.
"You didn't need to bring a present you know that?" He says gesturing with his head to the birthday card that's hanging out from my bag.

I was debating for half an hour if I should bring this Anna girl a present or not but I found it kind of rude to come to her party and not bring her anything.
It's a gift card for urban outfitters I didn't know what to get her and this seemed to be her thing..kind of.
"This is a birthday party right?" I ask him taking a sip of my sprite.
He leans himself onto the counter next to me a crooked grin on his lips.
"Yes it is."
"Did you bring her a gift?" He shakes his head no at my question and I roll my eyes.
He probably knows the girl better than I do and he didn't bring her a gift.
He crosses his arms and looks down at me.
"Why are you looking at me like that?" He asks me.

"How am I looking?"

"You're looking at me all judgy with your big green eyes." He tells me and my cheeks heat up at his comment while I look down at the ground.
Some guys yelling is catching my attention and I subconsciously move closer to Louis so I won't attract anyone from the drunk high school boys.
Our arms brush and I look up at him not understanding why I am even still talking to him.
"You didn't answer me." He says softly his pupils dilating.
Is he drunk or not?
I can't tell because he is behaving like always and I can't make out the liquor that's in his red cup.
"You didn't ask a question." I tell him confused.
"I did, I asked you why you're looking at me like that."

"Stop playing Louis I'm looking at you like I am always looking at you. You're imagining things." I tell him and roll my eyes taking another sip from my glass.
"I'm not playing I'm just trying to figure you out." He looks at me intensely and I push down my sleeves self consciously.
"How's your book going?" I ask him to have a distraction from staring at his eyes.
"Pretty good it's better than I thought actually. And yours?" He asks me and I blink surprised.
Wait what do I think I'm doing?

"I think.. I should go." I tell him and put down the glass.
He straightens up and holds up his hands.
"Sorry did I say something wrong?"

"No you didn't but I actually have somewhere else to be soon." I turn around to leave but stop when I remember the envelope.
I turn back around to see Louis still standing at the same spot looking at me his eyes soft and almost like liquid.
"Can you give this to Anna I actually don't know how she looks like and I-"
"Need to go, I know you already said that." He finishes my sentence and takes the envelope a sad smile on his face.
"Anna is getting her present. Get home safe Melody or wherever you're going." He tells me and I walk backwards still looking at him.
I give him a stiff nod as a goodbye and finally turn around leaving this horrendous party.
I am officially stupid to hold a conversation with this boy.