18: Kisses and Shockers

My ears were ringing and over all of the commotion, I could still hear my hear my heart beating in loud echoing thumps. Maybe this was from all of the blinding lights and shouting people, or maybe it was that at the end of the carpet Harry grabbed my hand and laced his fingers through mine, the same way that I'd seen Niall and Tiff do.

  I didn't really know what to think of this. It was either he was thinking that I was probabaly going to end up getting myself kidnapped or he didn't want to lose me in the crowd, I decided. Still, Tiff had winked at me as she was practically drug to the desert table by Niall.

  "This isn't an actual fist pumping kind of party. Management set this all up, so it's a bit more formal. If you see a man with a colorful tie, let me know." Harry said, his eyes scanning the crowd. He was searching for that man, I guessed, but I didn't want to ruin whatever possible moment we could have and decided to just take in the whole scene.

  Harry was right, it was more formal. I was glad the boys had told me about the dresses and Nathan had picked out a good dress for this party. There were some faces I could put names to, like Simon Cowell for instance, and other people like an Asian man who kept doing a weird dance that I didn't know and saying 'oppa Gangnam style'.

  The decor had to be done by an expert proffessional, because someone had made portraits of the boys' faces out of lego blocks that were plastered proudly on the walls on either sides of us. I could see one band member, Zayn, give Harry a thumbs up that I assumed I wasn't supposed to see. Now I was really hearing my heart pound, and it sounded like at any moment it would explode out of my chest.

  "You nervous?" Harry chuckled. I hadn't realized that I was furiously biting my lip; a stupid habit that I had picked up over the years, and I stifled a laugh. He rubbed his thumb across the back of my hand and I took one deep breath in.

  "You know, it's my first actual party and it's sort of apparently the biggest event of the year." I informed him, trying to mirror his cheekiness.

  "You've never been to a dance? Prom?" Harry asked, his face shocked but not showing too much; I assumed because people were around and anyone could take a picture and put a false title by it. 'Harry Styles shocked when Darcy tells him she's pregnant!' or maybe even 'Darcy tells Harry off at party!'

  "How could I have gone to prom, Harry? Those two years were taken from me." I said, sucking in my cheeks. "Sorry, no. I didn't mean to make it sound like you were stupid. And plus other people have had it a lot worse, so I should even be acting rude about that."

  "Darcy, you worry to much." Harry laughed. "I just, erm, forgot. Maybe this could be like your makeshift prom? Minus the cheesy music and the king and queen?" I laughed as some random person got a photo of us. I wasn't sure why they actually cared, because if Harry was some normal boy off of the streets nobody would care who he talked to, but since he was a good singer it seemed to change everything. I didn't mind this though, not tonight. I would treat this like my prom and not let anything ruin it.

  "Sure." I finally agreed. "Hey, I think I found that guy. That him?" I asked, pointing to a man who's nasaly voice could be heard all the way across the room. He was walking towards us slowly, also shaking hands with a few strangers and hopping in some photos. Harry turned his back from him and began to walk away, bringing me along like some puppy, before the nasaly voice said his name. I had a bad feeling about this man, and I didn't even know his name.

  "Harry, Harry. Fancy seeing you here." The man said behind us. I looked to Harry for some guidance, but he was slowly turning around and smiling back politely at the man with the neon pink tie that made me question his sexual orientation.