Part Nine: Hard Understanding

After our interesting trip to Gringott's, myself and Hagrid went on a small shopping spree to collect the rest of the item's on the list, that needed crossing off, I was down to two last must-haves.

"A Familiar and a..." I took a closer look at the last item on the bottom of my list, "wand" I finally managed to make out the small words that were written neatly, but quite bunched up. 

Hagrid smiled and began to push me forward before starting conversation for the however many-ith time, but I didn't mind it. It was nice to have someone who could actually hold out an interesting conversation. 

"Then we're in the right place." he cheered, before leading me to a shop door and leaning down to my ear level and continuing to finish his sentence. 

"This is Ollivanders. There's no place better. Go on, go ahead." He finished before pushing me into the door slightly, causing for it to open up just enough for a small bell to ring above my head. 

Walking further into the shop, I looked around curiously at all the different sized boxes. There must've been thousands upon thousands of different sized boxes, that not even I could estimate how many were actually there. I approached a oak desk, before politely (and awkwardly) pushing out a small greeting.

"Hello?" I called out, looking around once more to see if there was any sign that someone was working. "Hellooo?" I called out once more, gently tapping my fingers on the desk in a small rhythm. 

It was until then that I heard a screech and a man on a ladder suddenly appeared in front of a bookshelf, I smiled and waved at him as he slowly made his way down and to the desk. He kept his eyes on me the whole time before finally, a smile broke to the surface of his face. 

"Hello dear, how may I help?" The man asked politely, shuffling any of the paper that was covering his desk, aside. 

I smiled in response before explaining my reasoning for being in his shop.

"I'm here about a wand?" I asked politely, whilst keeping a semi-confident form of eye contact with the shopkeeper. 

"Ah, brilliant!" The man exclaimed excitedly, before heading to one of his many shelves and pulling out a few boxes. As he pulled them out, he gently introduced himself to me. 

"My names Ollivander." 

He gently placed three different boxes on his desk, and slowly opened each lid to the boxes. My eyes followed over the three different types of wands, each one with a different design and colour. I kept my eye locked on one, due to its beauty and size. I reached to pick it up, but as I did, my hand was gently swatted away and I was now having a finger waved in front of my face in a 'No' gesture. 

"You see, dear. The wand may be beautiful, but it doesn't mean it's a perfect fit for you." Ollivander smiled gently as he picked up the wand I found myself reaching for and held it up. He decided to finally (but slowly, very slowly) hand it over to me, and just as I was about to reach for it, he pulled back slightly and told me something that seemed very important. 

"How this works, is that, the wand chooses YOU. YOU don't choose the wand."  gently, he lowered the wand in my hand, and I felt my fingers wrap around it, but it felt too un-secure. I stared at the wand, hoping it would do something, or I would at least feel something, but nothing brushed over me. 

"Well, It doesn't work by itself, silly. Give it a swish!" Ollivander instructed, and I did just that. The swish was smooth and gentle, but the after effect wasn't.

SMASH 

Went a small glass perched on the side of one of the bookshelves, I jumped and gently lowered the wand before shaking my head at the mess I had just made. 

"I am SO sorry, I didn't mean t-" I was cut off by him chuckling and handing me the second wand that was lined up. I gently took it into my hand, this time, the wand felt a little more secure, but not completely, and again, the feelings I were waiting for, didn't surface. 

Again, the swish didn't work and now the books on the bookshelf nearest to me were laying in a messy heap, I sighed as I lowered the wand to the desk again, I was ready to give up trying. That was until the last wand was handed to me. 

I felt a slight pinch in my arm as I held the wand but the pinch was gentle and comforting. This wand felt so right...

But so wrong, too. 

His eyes flicked between me and the wand in my hand, he was now trying to fight back a confused, but worried face. I felt a small heat forming from the wand, again, gentle but it had some power behind the heat. I looked at him with a concerned face myself. 

"Unusual behaviour..." he whispered to himself, as he walked around me in a circle, but with his eyes locked onto the wand. "Very unusual...". 

A small breeze softly blew over and around me as I felt my grip on the wand getting tighter and more secure. This wand had a sort of, control over me and I was definitely feeling it. Suddenly, the what was once a small breeze began to blow stronger and my hair was now flowing with it. That was when I realised that Ollivander was now standing in front of me with a look of surprise on his face. 

"It's chosen you" He smiled warmly, but it soon faded to a small frown as he finished his sentence.

"But its going to take some time for it to understand you..." He walked back behind his desk with confusion now spread over his face. 

"It wants to understand me, you mean." I say as I slowly look up at a very astonished Ollivander. 

"I'll take it."