Part Seventeen: The Sorting Ceremony

Chosen Song For This Part:  I Don't Care - Fall Out Boy

We all made our way through the big doors and found ourselves surrounded by a grand hall full of long dining tables decorated with the different house table covers. Looking up, I noticed that the source of light was actually hundreds of floating candles above our heads. I wondered if any of them had dropped onto someones head and the thought caused me to chuckle to myself. 

-Lex's POV-
Walking down the middle of the tables kind of made me feel like I was on the spot, but also quite powerful. I looked at either side of me to take in the surroundings, and I noticed a table that stood at the far end of the right of me, It was decorated with green and silver, and I also noticed that I had a feeling that I enjoyed. That feeling, was me being drawn to not only the colours, but the people sitting around it. 

In that moment, I think I knew where I belonged. I felt it rush through my body and conjure my soul. A devilish smirk made its way to my face. 

Me and Amber had been friends for pretty much forever, we both received our letters to Hogwarts on the exact same day, at the exact same time and now, I was hoping that we'd stick together even more after we were sorted into our houses. 

Thinking of houses, we all came to a stop at the platform that was lifted slightly above the ground and me and Amber were now wishing each other good luck, our hands intertwined. 

The woman from earlier was holding a folded up scroll in her hands and as she unfolded it, she began to talk. 

"Now, when I call your name, you will need to come forward and I will place the sorting hat on your head and this will sort you into your correct houses."

The woman lifted the hat up in one of her hands and proceeded to hold the unravelled scroll in the other. The first name was called forward. 

"Hermione Granger" The woman called. 

A small girl with brown curly hair began to step forward when I heard a comment be made about her, It was from a ginger boy that Draco had classified as a 'Weasley'. 

"Mental that one, I'm telling you." he commented, Harry seemed to nod in agreement. 

I found myself not feeling too fond about the two of them and I frowned slightly. My attention turned back to the 'Hermione' girl and I waited patiently to see where she would be placed. I felt a nudge on my arm and I located it to be Amber. 

"She looks smart, I think she'll be put in Ravenclaw you know." Amber leant over and whispered, I nodded in agreement. 

The hat was placed upon her head as she finally sat down, it hummed for a few seconds before it made its final decision, and in the moment the hat shouted 

"GRYFFINDOR!" 

I heard loud cheers come from the table to the left of me and with natural reaction, I looked over. The girl had skipped her way over happily, and the skipping made me cringe. Such a girly girl. I shook it off and turned my attention back to the front. Amber was now squeezing my had either with support or with slight worry, I couldn't tell quite clearly. The list was looked at again and the next name was called out. 

"Draco Malfoy" 

For some reason, I felt my body jolt and I leaned forward to get a better view as he walked up the stairs slowly, he was looking directly at his friends her were nodding him on in support. Before the hat was even placed upon his head, It hovered and his house was announced almost immediately. 

"SLYTHERIN!" 

I hadn't realised I had joined in on the clapping from the Slytherin table until I realised a few people were looking at me in confusion. Two of them being Draco's friends from earlier. I stopped the clapping immediately and stared straight back at them, keeping a stern face on. They both glowed slightly red and looked away as quickly as they had looked at me beforehand. I continued to stare forward. 

"Alyssa Sweetshire" was the next name off of the list. 

I made sure to cheer her on with the other girls from the group. 

-Alyssa's POV-
My head shot up at the calling of my name, I started to slightly worry at this rate. 

"Was that me?" I asked, looking at the girls for re-assurance, they all nodded. 

"Alyssa, Sweetshire!" 

My name was called again and I managed to slowly gather the courage up to proceed forward. If it wasn't for Paige and Gabriella nudging me on, I don't think I would've moved much faster. Step by step I got closer to the platform, I looked around to see that some people were watching, others were talking to their friends, I looked back behind me and the girls were cheering me on and waving their hands in the air in a 'You've got this' gesture. 

I made it to the seat and sat down, I felt the hat lower onto my head. 

He was quiet for a minute or so and I started to worry, was there something wrong? I flickered my eyes up to see the bottom of the hat on my forehead, my eyes slowly traced back down to my group of friends and I hoped an answer would come out soon. 

Just as I closed my eyes and hoped for something to happen, the hat finally shouted its decision. 

"HUFFLEPUFF!" 

Cheers erupted from the table on the far left and I made my way over, making sure to Hi-five the girls along the way. I finally took my seat and got greeted by everyone on the table. Now, I just needed to wait for the next name to be called. 

-Luna's POV-
Many more names were being called out, minute after minute and I needed to sit down by now. None of the names I recognised completely, apart from one, and that was Harry Potter's , he was sorted into Gryffindor and so was Ron Weasley, his friend. I placed my hand on my forehead and then rubbed my eyes, Gabriella was now leaning an arm on my shoulder. We were both getting a little bored when a name that I finally recognised was called out. 

"Amber Rodgers!" 

I looked over and saw Lex nod Amber on, and so, Amber stepped forward with slight confidence and a small, hopeful but awkward smile on her face. She sat down, faced us and nodded in good luck. It wasn't long until the hat had sorted her into her house. 

"RAVENCLAW!" 

Amber jumped up, smiled and waved at us as she walked past and over to her house table. All that was left was me, Paige, Lex, Gabriella, Anna, Lisa and Abbie. 

The list was checked again and the next name was called up, this time, it was mine. I was called fourth and slowly, I let Gabriella's arm drop off my shoulder gently, and as it did, she patted me on the back, I smiled and stepped up and onto the platform, taking a seat on the chair. The hat was lowered and now, I waited. 

"SLYTHERIN!" 

The roars from the Slytherin table were loud and I found myself heading straight towards them. When I sat down, I waited to see who was next. 

-Gabriella's POV-
After Luna left my side and got sorted into her house, I was now standing slightly on my own. That was until a girl stepped forward and took Luna's spot next to me. She looked over and smiled at me. 

"What house are you hoping for, may I ask?" The girl asked quietly. 

"I don't really have a preferred house, I get sorted into what will suit me best, I guess, how about you?" I asked as I shrugged and then sighed. I rubbed my eyes in the meantime, I couldn't wait to finally get to sleep. 

"Slytherin, My family have a past of being Slytherin's, I wouldn't like to change that. I'm Aubrey, by the way." Aubrey whispered as another students house was being declared. 

"Gabriella." I replied. 

My head shot up when I heard my name called out, I looked at Aubrey and smiled before wishing her luck and waving goodbye, the few girls left cheered me on quietly. I sat down on the seat and the hat lowered.

"HUFFLEPUFF!" 

I stood up and made a stride for the Hufflepuff table where I sat next to and joined Lyssa, she hugged me tightly, All that was left to do was wait and see who's next. 

-Lex's POV-
I had been standing next to Paige for a while now, both of us sharing whispers about some of the students who we thought suited different houses based off of what we thought they were like due to their reactions and expressions. 

Another girl had joined us and she introduced herself as Aubrey, she was hoping that she'd get Slytherin as her family had a history with being Slytherins and she didn't want to feel like the odd one out. Paige and Aubrey were now talking about earlier with the Harry Potter scene caused by Draco. 

'Draco.' I thought to myself, 'Such a Little Brat'. 

More and more students had been sorted and only a few were left standing, It must've been getting late by now as the world outside was encased in black gloom. A cloud was just covering the moon, but enough of the moon was still there to see. 

I was dragged back into reality when I felt myself being rapidly nudged, it was Paige trying to get my attention. She was pointing at the seat and as I followed her finger, I realised that everyone had been looking at me, not that the knew who I was, but they at least knew my name now because Paige had been calling me for a few minutes. I managed to walk through the small parting made by the crowd and I stepped up and sat down on the chair. I found myself looking at the Slytherin house table and the only thing that came to my mind was

"Watch this, Draco." I muttered to myself.

The hat came down and before it fully sat upon my head, the hat fell silent for a few seconds. I waited half patiently, half impatiently, whilst not taking my eyes off the table. 

"SLYTHERIN!" 

I felt a devilish smirk form on my face and confidently, I got up, turned my body towards the table, and headed for it. I knew exactly what I was about to say to Draco Malfoy. 

-Paige's POV-
I watched as the rest of the girls got sorted into their groups. Abbie was put into Gryffindor, Aubrey made it into Slytherin, Anna also made it into Gryffindor and Lisa was placed in Hufflepuff. 

All that stood of the group was me, and even now, I felt my eyes starting to close, I was tired from not being able to get any sleep on the train earlier. My eyelids drooped and eventually fell over my eyes, it felt nice to rest them. As I relaxed from the darkness, it was soon interrupted by the darkness suddenly transforming into bursting flames. My eyelids shot open and I managed to gain my energy back. It was then that I noticed there was only me and three other students left standing. 

"Paige Dreamer!"

My name was called and I felt relief. At least I wasn't going to be the last student to be awkwardly standing. I made my way to the platform, trying to not let my eyes blur from the sleepiness that was creeping up on me, and rapidly. Sitting down felt like the most beautiful feeling at that moment. I felt the hat sit comfortably on top of my head, and I waited.

"HUFFLEPUFF!" 

The shouting of the hat woke me up fully this time and I felt a wave of happiness rush over me... or maybe it was adrenaline. Either way, I was happily strutting over to the Hufflepuff table where I joined Alyssa, Lisa and Gabriella. We all smiled and turned our heads over to the other girls of our group that were scattered across other tables and smiling straight back at us, was them. 

-Lex's POV-
I noticed Draco sitting with his friends, and directly across from him, was a spare seat. I decided to take a chance, and sit there. 

I made my way over and threw myself down on the seat in front of him, before looking at him, and smirking.

"Hello, Draco" I said confidently. He was now facing me with a frown on his face. 

"Do I know you?" He asked smugly, "Actually, more importantly, Do I WANT to know you, is the real question." Crabbe and Goyle both laughed but it soon stopped when I shot them a look and both of their heads went down. Draco looked at them in disgust. 

"Let me ask you" I began, crossing my legs under the table and my arms above it. "Is it Draco, Draco Malfoy, or just Malfoy, hm?" I smiled and kept our eye contact. He looked slightly out of his comfort zone. 

"It's either" He said through gritted, annoyed teeth. 

"Well, Draco" I said, uncrossing my legs and leaning across the table to meet his eye level. "I think I could put up with you, I mean, I am in your house now, after all." 

He looked at the boys for back-up, but both kept out of it and were now doing their own thing. Draco was left to face me, on his own, with no help what.so.ever. 

I smirked and lowered myself back down into my seat. 

"I like you, Malfoy." I chuckled calmly. 

"I think we're going to get on JUST  fine." 

I heard clanging and after keeping a few more seconds of eye contact, I turned my head to the front of the hall, there, Dumbledore was standing with a goblet cup in his hand and a spoon, banging it against the cup. He finally stopped and put them both aside. 

With his arms raised, he cheered

"Let the feast...BEGIN! "