PART TWENTY-SEVEN: Overheard

(Paige x Alyssa)

-Alyssa's POV-

Class had finished and as I watched everyone leave the classroom, I tried to get a view on just who was in the huddle of people leaving, and just as I had expected, I didn't see Ron once. 

Ever since the big stand-off between him and Hermione this morning, I hadn't seen him anywhere, and normally, he'd attend all his classes. Whether he hadn't attended any of them or just this one, made me a little curious to just what exactly he was doing or where he was.  I began to pack up my own things, and eventually, I made my way out of the classroom. 

My mind had been racing all day around Hermione's comment that she had quite effortlessly thrown at me earlier, and not thought about it when she did it. That was what angered me, other than the way her and Ron were arguing. It was awkward and a little embarrassing when you see your own boyfriend and one of your friends having an argument that pretty much, EVERYONE  in the grand hall heard. I don't think it would be long until the professors got an insight into the news.

As I made my way to the start of the many staircases, I looked up and tried to decipher which of the staircases were about to start moving, where to, and which ones have just stopped. Scanning the staircases, I noticed Paige was leaning against the banner of one of them and decided that I would go join her, at the same time I wondered if maybe she had seen or heard where Ron may be or if he was doing okay, at least. 

Stepping on the staircase, I began to walk up them and for now, all was well, the stairs weren't moving and as far as I was aware, every staircase was connected perfectly up to where Paige was standing. Watching as I walked up the stairs, I noticed that Paige had a book in her hands, and was switching between waving her wand in patterns, and her hands. I found it highly amusing, since she, Lex and Amber where the three witches out of us ten that could actually use their hands for magic instead of their wands but of course, in Hogwarts, they used their wands so no more suspicions occurred to other students. 

I was nearly where Paige was standing, when suddenly, I heard what sounded like a clunking noise from below me and looking down, I noticed the stair cases had began to switch again, instead of walking up the stairs normally, I decided to run up them in sets of two steps, If I was quick enough, I'd make it to her. 

Running over the last two steps, I managed to get there just in time. Looking back over my shoulder, I saw the last staircase I was just on, detach itself and turn away from the bit of landing me and Paige were now both standing on. Turning my head back to the front , I looked up to notice that we were both standing in front of the Hufflepuff common room. 

"Hey" I greeted, and lowering her book from her face, Paige looked at me and smiled. 

"Hey Honey" She replied, closing the book in her hand and holstering her wand. 

She put her arms out and pulled me in for a hug. 

"How're you feeling now?" She asked, cocking her head with the question. 

"I'm doing better but, just a little worried, you know? About" I paused and just found myself smiling. 

"Ron?" She finished the sentence for me and I nodded. 

-Paige's POV-

I invited Alyssa on my trip to the library as I needed to look further into my studying on potions, this time I was hoping to find the book of advanced potions. Exam season was creeping up on us faster now, and I wanted to make sure I was prepared, I couldn't afford to fail and I don't think the girls could either, so they chose to go and study independently after their classes this afternoon. On our trip to the library, I made sure to talk about and listen to Alyssa's thoughts and feelings. 

"I just don't understand why he shrugged me off like that, and then proceeded to walk away down the hall until he realised that I wasn't going to chase after him" Alyssa ranted and I listened well. 

"Sweetheart, boys are quite...confusing" I replied, looking at her and smiling. 

"They're not easy to understand, but nor are us girls. We're not really much different in that sense. The only difference is, boys are a little more... caved in, if that makes sense? They like to hide how they're feeling" I said, looking down at the ground and then back up again. 

"Hm, I guess so" Alyssa mentioned, looking at me. 

"Don't take it too much to heart, though. He'll come around, sometimes everyone is better left on their own when they're not in the best of moods. We do it to protect the people we love, so we don't end up un-intentionally pushing them away, you know?" I asked and shrugged my shoulders lightly. 

"Yeah, I guess so. I can understand that" Alyssa commented, and I heard her draw a big breath, only to let out a small sigh which I gathered was of relief. 

"But, it's not like him to miss classes, either" Alyssa spoke up again and I looked at her with an eyebrow raised. 

"Weasley skipped class? Really?" I said, surprise leaking into my voice. 

And then I realised what I had overheard earlier when people were walking up the staircase and I was behind them, I didn't intentionally eavesdrop, but it sometimes just...happens.

"That makes sense actually" I said, before pushing the doors to the library open, and entering. 

I held the door open for Alyssa and she followed in behind me. I let the door go and made my way towards the one 'potions' section of books. Alyssa leant in beside me and whispered. 

"What makes sense?"

I turned my head to face her and looked forward once again, I answered her back as quietly as I could. 

"Apparently, from what I overheard, he didn't just skip the class you were both in together, but also the rest of his classes he's in. I also heard a few students talking about him not being seen anywhere in the school since this mornings showdown" I whispered to her. 

I saw worry spike through on Alyssa's face and I didn't blame her for worrying. After everything that had happened this weekend with Luna and the Dementors and then Lisa and Abbie's game being gate crashed by them once again, I could understand the worry completely. I silently just hoped that they didn't decide to make a visit for the third time and if they did, it was definitely not to offer support to Ron after his little meltdown. 

Turning the corner into the potions section, I placed my finger on one book at the start of the line, and began to run it across the row of books. Alyssa was too, walking behind and keeping an eye out for me incase I missed it, but I could tell her mind was somewhere else right now. My finger stopped at a smaller book near the end of the row and gently, I pulled at it with my fingers, I caught it as it fell into my hand and I turned to look at Alyssa. 

"Hey, look at me" I said softly, and she did. 

"I think he's going to be okay, he just needs some space to breathe. Arguing with your best friend is pretty rough, I think if it was us girls in that situation, we'd be feeling a little crappy, too." I reassured and smiled at her. 

In agreement, she nodded and joined me at the nearest table we could find, I pulled my notebook and a quill out, and opened the book and proceeded to start my study. That was when Alyssa leaned in once more and I lifted my head up to meet her gaze. 

"I don't understand what's happened, why did that argument go down this morning?" She asked quietly. 

"From what I, well, everyone in the hall heard, he's done something and it happens to include Harry" I replied back , lowering my quill. 

"But what? Has it been obvious or do I just not pay much attention to anything?" She sighed, and propped her hand under her chin. 

"Now that I think about it, I believe it had something to do with" I paused, and watched as a group of students walked past and a badge seemed to slightly glimmer in the light, catching my attention. 

Pointing discreetly in their direction and at a certain place on their robes, Alyssa turned to look and I finished my sentence. 

"Them badges" I finished, and she turned her head back to me, shock on her face. 

"He didn't!" She whisper-shouted, with a small pool of annoyance rippling in her voice. 

"I guess he did, and honestly, as much as whatever it must say is funny enough to make students laugh, I can understand why Hermione would be fuming" I whispered back. 

"Unbelievable, the night we found out about Harry being pulled from the Goblet, I was awake and out of my dorm, and Ron found me. We spoke about this" She began to rant-whisper. 

"I warned him that Jealousy can destroy friendships, and I thought he would listen to me, but if he's doing something like that, then clearly not" She paused to take a breath. 

"Is my advice REALLY  not that acknowledgeable?" She huffed out, and crossed her arms over her chest as she leant back against the chair. 

"Shhh!" A student stressed from behind her, and she instantly swung around to face them. 

"Oh! Shut it you" Alyssa hissed at them, before swerving back around to face me. 

I found myself chuckling and shaking my head, and eventually, my chuckle infected Alyssa and she too, chuckled herself. 

Looking behind her, I noticed the library door opening, and as I watched, I noticed Hermione was entering the room, before I could put my head back down to continue my studying, Hermione's eyes met mine and instantly, she began to walk towards mine and Alyssa's table. 

"Incoming" I whispered to Alyssa, and she too, looked around and saw Hermione heading our way. 

"If she's here to pipe up to me again, I am NOT  going to be the best of impressed, HOWEVER, if it's an apology, I may just accept it" Alyssa considered. 

Hermione was just three tables away and I started to wonder myself what she was approaching us for. Putting my head back down, I dipped the quill end in ink, and began to continue my studies, just after I said what was balancing off the tip of my tongue. 

"Well, this should be interesting"