Part Seven: New Years Eve Prep

(Abbie's POV)

Decorating our house had taken us several hours, looking back at the clock behind me, I found that time had flown by ever so quickly. Practically throwing myself down on the couch behind me, I sprawled myself out over the length of it and sucked in a huge breath, only to let a longer one be exhaled out. 

It wasn't long until I found myself pulling myself up from the position I was in with all my strength, and finally sitting upright in a more suitable position. My mother had gone out to go and collect some more decorations along with bringing more shopping in for the New Years Eve party tomorrow night, which was being hosted by us. So to save her some time, I agreed to continue decorating the house but now, I had simply started to regret my offer. I lowered my face into my cupped hands and yawned. 

"It's times like this when I wish that it wasn't illegal to use magic outside of school" I whined to myself. 

Which was true, it would've saved me so much exhaustion and hard work, I put about enough hard work into this years school year as it was, for me and the girls to only go back to school two weeks into January and prepare for our mock exams mid-way through February. 

Every year unfortunately got harder but luckily, the group wasn't so unfortunate by having quite a few of the girls be smart, that came in handy A LOT. They always knew which subjects would pop up in the examination process, and what books to study from during the study periods. The top two smartest girls in our group were most definitely Amber and Anna, but then again, we were all smart in our own ways. 

After short procrastination, I decided to make my way into the kitchen and grab myself a glass of water, I needed a break for the amount of hours I had been decorating for. As I ran the water and began to hover a glass under it, I heard a faint tapping at my front door window, and cautiously I proceeded to make my way fourth to the door. Looking at the curtain that covered the small squared window, I saw a silhouette formed dimly against it and after a small study, I came to realise that there was a muffled voice emerging from behind the door. 

"Abbie! Open the door please darling" I heard my mothers voice call out, and instantly I swung the door open, stepped aside and let her through. 

Looking back out the door, I noticed two big heavy bags still slumped down side by side and quickly, I grabbed the doorstop that was resting against the wall, and shoved it under the front door as quickly as I could. Walking out to the front, I lowered my arms down to grab the two bags and picked them up, only to find that my mum was calling out to me once more.

"Abbie honey, be careful, they're heavy"

Not thinking about if they were heavy or not did save me the aches, until obviously my mum had mentioned that they were heavy and now, I was definitely noticing that. Before my arms felt like they were about to rip off, as quickly as I could, I rushed into the house and made a quick dash for the kitchen. Slumping the bags down on the countertop, I turned to face my mum and a few strands of my hair fell in my face, I blew them out of the way. 

"What did you buy?" I asked, looking at her and the multiple bags that were scattered on the table and countertop. 

"The whole shop?" I finished and chuckled as I heard the front door close and my mums approaching footsteps. 

My mum came in laughing at my comment and gently, I began to remove the items from the bag and unpack it piece by piece. I was pulling out plastic cups, table dressings, gold and silver decorated napkins, paper plates, the lot. My mum joined in unpacking the rest of the bags and eventually, every bag was unpacked successfully. 

I grabbed the glass of water I had put down earlier and began to drink from it as my mum put away all the food and drink supplies she had stocked up on. It wasn't long before she was onto changing the table dressing and already, I had finished drinking my water. 

"The living room is finished, by the way" I said to my mother whilst putting the glass in the dishwasher. 

"Ah thank you love, I appreciate it, really" She replied, stepping back to admire to table dressing that she had just put on the table. 

"What do you think Abbs?" She asked and I turned to have a look.

"Looks great mum! Its really pretty, honestly" I smiled and looked at my mother who, now had a proud smile upon her face. 

Making my way out of the kitchen, I decided to head over to the New Years decoration box and begin pulling out our stair banister decorations, fumbling through them, I managed to find both gold and silver single rows of banister decorations and pulled them both out, only to find that they were tangled with each other. The annoyance in my sigh must've allowed my mother to catch on as she decided to join me in pulling these out of the box and carefully, we both stood holding either end of the decoration banners and began to untangle them together. 

It wasn't long until me and my mother combined were now slightly tangled in the decorations ourselves and at this rate, we may as well just become decorations ourselves. The banner was weaved in and out of my legs and over and under both of my mothers arms, as I looked up at my mum, I noticed that she had secretly wrapped some of the banner around her head and suddenly, I broke into laughter. My mum looked up and noticed that I had noticed the banner around the top of her head she too, broke into laughter herself. 

"You look like Rambo!" I managed to say in between laughs, and that set my mum off even more. 

For the rest of the decorating around the hallway and stairs area, we laughed and joked around with the decorations, the pair of us just accepting the fact that we're going to end up getting constantly tangled and become one with the decorations occasionally.