Part Five: Merry Christmas

(Lex's POV)

"Thank you again, both of you" I thanked both Mrs and Mr.Dreamer as I wiped at my mouth with a napkin. 

Finishing dinner, I noticed that Paige was already collecting her parents plates and I decided to join her and give her some help by collecting up the salt, pepper and ketchup bottle. As I was about to follow Paige into the kitchen, Mrs.Dreamer assured me that I didn't need to do this. Gently I smiled and shook my head. 

"Please, I would like to say thank you by being helpful" I replied and smiled once more before heading in the direction of their kitchen. 

Paige was already at the sink and running the hot water, soap at the ready in her hand. Gently, I placed the items in my hand down on the kitchen counter and began to attempt to find the cupboard the salt, pepper and ketchup went in, that was until a hand was rested on mine and I looked up to see Paige smiling at me. 

"Don't worry about those, I've got it covered" She said, gently taking both the salt and pepper and opening one of the cupboards, before beginning to put them away. 

Leaning my lower back against one of the free counters, I looked up at the ceiling first and looked around the whole room next. Lowering my head, I flicked my eyes over to the dining table where both of her parents sat, talking away between themselves. I felt my heart sink a little knowing that I'm not spending my Christmas with those that I loved, but as much as I loved both my father and my mother, I felt like I just needed a break this year.

Of course, I wrote that I would be spending my Christmas at Hogwarts this year with 'friends',  but the truth is, if that were true, i'd be on my own if it wasn't for Paige staying behind a little longer after the girls left.

My attention was brought back to the reality I was in currently by Paige talking away, I turned my head to try and attempt to show that I was listening. 

"I know you didn't hear a word I just said then" She chuckled, her head turning to face me and her lower back too, pressed against the sink counter. 

"I'm not going to lie, I didn't. I was too busy getting lost in my own thoughts, once again. I'm sorry." I apologised, raising my head up to meet her gaze and smiling weakly. 

Watching her closely, I could see an empathetic sparkle in her eye and look on her face. I saw that her head was slightly tilted to the side and her lips pressed together, she often did this when she was either thinking about something, or she was trying to piece a puzzle together mentally. Slightly panicked by her expression, I decided to attempt to change the topic and lighten the mood I was in. 

"You have such a beautiful place here" I sighed out in awe, looking around once more. 

Fairy lights were lined up against the line that connected both the ceiling and walls together, and her kitchen was a mixture of red and black colours. Black walls and flooring, with dark cherry red counters and cupboards to finish the look. 

I heard as she began to start hand washing the dishes, and the splashing of the water took me back to the nights at Hogwarts where i'd be awake in my dorm at stupid-O'-clock in the morning and watching the waves in the distant crash gently against the rocks outside my window. I decided to walk over to the sink and join Paige by standing next to her, I watched as she scrubbed away at the plates and lined them up neatly one by one after each other. 

Lending a helping hand, I grabbed a tea towel and began to pick up the clean plates and dry them one by one, before placing them gently aside in a pile of each other. Once all four plates were dried, I began to dry the utensils as they were placed aside on the draining board. 

"You know" Paige began to say, as she washed the rest of the items in the sink. My head turned to face her and this time, I really was paying attention. 

"My mums always been embarrassed of our place" She sighed and I felt my heart sink slightly. 

"Why though?" I asked. 

"It's beautiful, what's there to be embarrassed about I mean, look at this gorgeous kitchen and view outwards onto the snow filled street" I said, pointing outwards with the back end of a knife I was drying up. 

Paige looked over at me with a small smile in the corner of her mouth and replied to my comment, she jerked her head to look over her shoulder before looking back at me. 

"You try telling my mum that" She chuckled, now beginning to finish up washing the rest of the items. 

My head turned once more in the direction of her parents, but my eyes automatically fixated on her mother, who was now cleaning up the table and her father who was sitting at his desk doing something else. It made me sad to know that her mother was embarrassed by this beautiful place, when really, there was nothing TO  be embarrassed about, at all. 

It wasn't long til Paige had finished washing up and I finished drying the utensils. Gently, I placed the towel aside and folded it up carefully. She dried her hands and both of us made our way out of the kitchen. Looking over at the clock, I saw that the time had just passed 9pm, dinner was late due to our train running a little behind schedule and we didn't get back to Paige's until nearly 6pm, by then it was already dark and the snow had started getting heavier. 

"Hey Mum, Dad, I think i'm going to go and get into my pyjamas and brush my teeth as well, I might call it an early night for me" Paige announced, a smile on her face. 

"Alright darling, goodnight" Mrs.Dreamer said, approaching her and pulling her in for a hug but also, placing a kiss on her cheek. 

Watching the interaction and relationship between those two made my heart happy, and I found myself smiling at the two of them, Paige headed over to her father and placed a kiss upon the top of his head. I was suddenly face to face with Mrs.Dream who, was smiling down at me. 

"Are you going as well, sweetie?" She asked. 

I looked over at Paige who just smiled at me and shrugged her shoulders as if to say 'I'm not deciding for you' , thinking quickly, I decided to join Paige in going upstairs and getting ready for bed, after all, it was Christmas Eve and ever since I was a child, I always went to bed earlier on Christmas Eve night.