Part Three: Do I Have A Choice?

-Draco's POV-

Being back home at the Malfoy Manor seemed almost unfamiliar to me, I had actually enjoyed my time at Hogwarts so much that I forgot what home I was actually from, I would've liked to have said that I considered Hogwarts my 'safe house', it wasn't dark and dingy, it also wasn't full of pain and fear, and yet, here I stood once more, in the darkness of my own room. 

Dust had clearly settled from where it had been un-occupied for so long, and even when I sat on the bed, the dust particles practically shot into the air and fell back down on me like the fine snow that was fluttering outside my condensed window. Slowly I raised myself up from sitting on my bed, and used the sleeve of my black coat to rub away at the steam. Creating a circle big enough to see through, I peered through it and watched the snow fall for a few minutes.

But even then, watching them fall didn't take away the heaviness that was smothering me, suffocating me... 

Lying to Alexis about having to go home early due to a family emergency was hard and bad enough, but having an idea about why I needed to come home so soon was worse. The warmth that Hogwarts dormitories provided was non-existent here in my own room.

The house was as cold as the winter weather outside, but my father would always be colder.

Prolonging the only comfort I had at the moment, I let out a sigh and bowed my head down to stare at my own two feet beneath me, my hands steadying my body as I gripped the top of the chair that was tucked under my desk. It wasn't long until I noticed that the muffled talking downstairs had come to a halt, and footsteps began to proceed up the stairs and towards my closed bedroom door. Just as I had expected, I took a glance out the window once more, and forced out the smallest smile I had left in me. It wasn't long until the comforting footsteps that I recognised as my mothers, stopped just outside my door, and a small knock was placed on my door. 

"Draco, darling, it's me" My mothers voice reassured, and for a moment I felt myself relax. 

I glanced at myself in the small circular mirror that was balanced on the top shelf of my desk, before turning around slowly, placing my lower back against the chair behind me and leaning against it. I took a deep breath, swallowed the lump in my throat and gently, I called for her to come in. 

"Come in, mother" I said softly, keeping my eyes down at the floor. 

The door to my bedroom creaked quietly open, and I saw my mothers shadow reflect against the floorboards from the outside chandelier that was hanging above the staircase. The shadow disappeared as she pushed the door almost shut, leaving it ajar behind her. I saw her shoes come into my view and both her hands rested gently on either shoulder, my head raised to look at her and as I did, a small smile formed on her lips. 

"It's good to have you home, darling" She whispered to me, as she pulled me in for a hug. 

My arms wrapped delicately around her waist and I rested my chin on her shoulder, her head leaning against my shoulder, too. It felt almost like she tightened her hug and let out a small sigh, her arms remaining around me. I embraced the moment as I knew it wouldn't be lasting much longer, my father didn't like to be kept waiting. 

"Narcissa!" I heard my father shout from the bottom of the staircase, and instantly my mother jumped at the sound of her name. 

"Did you manage to get the boy out from his cave?" My father called out impatiently, and I felt my brows furrow in agitation. 

Sighing, my mother pulled away from the hug and looked at me, her fingers brushed against my forehead as she moved a small misplaced strand that had fallen onto it. Her hand then travelled to my cheek and the back of her knuckles brushed against it gently. 

"My sweet boy" She whispered, before turning towards the bedroom door and making her way to open it.

She turned back to look at me and with a small shroud of light pouring in, I thought I could almost see tears beginning to swell in her eyes. She flickered them between the staircase leading down to where my father was standing waiting for me and back to me, who was standing helplessly in the middle of a dark room that felt like it was about to cave in on top of me any minute, and I was starting to hope it would. 

"NARCISSA! " I heard my father call impatiently again and slowly turning back towards me, she nodded her head slowly. 

"It's time, my darling boy" She whispered, her voice seeming to trail off as she looked down at the ground. 

Nodding slowly but reluctantly, I pushed myself off from the chair behind me with minimal effort, and my mother waited with an open arm. Looking back to glance in the mirror once more, I asked in my head if my room was sure it didn't want to cave in, It was sure it was positive. I assumed that it wasn't an option, and my eyes flickered to the ceiling. 

'Wish me luck, Alexis'  My thoughts rang out. 

I walked into her open arm, and out the door. Her hand was placed on my mid back gently, guiding me down the stairs to where my father was waiting, cane in hand and a stern, cold look on his face. I felt my eyes lower from the gaze of his cold ones, his jaw was clenched and his hand following. 

"Draco" My father said, trying to sound calm. 

"Father" I replied, keeping my eyes down. 

His cane propped under my chin and the snake head pushed my jaw upwards, forcing me to come to eye level with him, I felt my heart stop for a split second, only for it to start to race slowly at first.

"Good to have you...back" He said, observing my face and looking for any signs of weakness. 

All I could do, was hold my breath and hope that he didn't expect me to come back with a compliment for him in return. There was no way that I was going to label him 'No.1 Best Dad', because honestly, I often wondered how this man IS  my father, considering what he is and what he does. 

"I expect you know why we have called this... father and son meeting, yes?" He asked, his cane lowering and an eyebrow raising as he waited for my response. 

"I have an idea" I commented through gritted teeth, hoping that the act I was holding up wasn't going to collapse anytime soon.