CHAPTER 14

Eyy, how long has it been already? Got some time on my hands and first thing in my list is to update this. Enjoy!

Zhu Yilong watched as the car drove off into the night before he turned toward Zhao Yunlan.

The man was looking at the other side, clearly avoiding his eyes and Zhu Yilong bit the inside of his lips absently. Unsure. There was a pregnant silence between them before Zhu Yilong shrugged off his coat and put it on the other shoulder, silently grateful when Zhao Yunlan did not resist the offer and instead pulled it closer. He was still averting his eyes from meeting his though.

Zhu Yilong took the chance to break the silence.

"You should have called me."

Zhao Yunlan casted a sideways glance at him and looked away again. "You told me not to call."

Zhu Yilong felt the burn of the words in his heart and cursed at himself silently. He scratched at his neck, swallowing. "I—did. You should call me anyway."

Zhao Yunlan gave no response to that.

He considered the man for a few moments before reaching for the hand under the coat hesitantly, gently as he took the hand in his. He searched for any discomfort on the other face, to which he found none so he adjusted his hold on the hand, sliding his fingers under the hand until their palms firm against each other. His thumb rested at the back of Zhao Yunlan's hand. When he pulled on the hand lightly, Zhao Yunlan turned his head at him.

He smiled softly, "Let's go?"

Zhao Yunlan looked down to where their hands conjoined and Zhu Yilong felt his heart swell a little when the fingers made a small grab to his hand, holding him back. His smile widened as he pulled the man to the car, the hand felt small and right in his bigger one.

He let Zhao Yunlan settled on the passenger seat first, making sure the safety belt was put on properly before he closed the door and practically ran to the other side of the car. Taking a glance at Zhao Yunlan, he noticed the weary look of the other and sighed silently.

He started the engine and the car hummed to life before they sped off into the night.

Zhao Yunlan jolted out of his sleep a little under an hour later when the car went into a slow drive, moving gently through the opening of a big iron wrought gate.

He quickly sat up from he leaned against the soft leather seat, throwing his gaze wildly at the unfamiliar surroundings. It was uncharacteristically dark outside, the only things splashed into view by the car headlights were the long paving stone driveway heading somewhere and a row of tall Lombardy poplar trees on both side.

"Where are we?" Zhao Yunlan asked, alarmed.

He saw the hesitation on the other face before Zhu Yilong replied, glancing at him. "My parents' house."

"What?" it was hard not to notice the hurt in his voice when Zhao Yunlan protested. "Why would you bring me here?"

Zhu Yilong swallowed. "It's way past midnight now. It will take at least another hour to get back. You're tired, this is the only place I could think of."

"But I don't want to go to your parents' house, I want to go home!"

Zhao Yunlan cried out in earnest, his voice trembled slightly to show his displeased and Zhu Yilong had to slow down on his driving to look properly at the man beside him. His face guilty.

"I know. I know, I'm sorry but I—I'm tired too."

He reasoned, focusing back on the road when Zhao Yunlan seemed to deflate a little on his seat. He looked down at his hands on his lap, obvious pout on his face and Zhu Yilong had to convince him a little. He turned his head back toward Zhao Yunlan.