Chapter One: Before (Pt. 1)

-Tommy's Point of View- 

Today was a beautiful Saturday afternoon. I would normally be at home playing video games, but my parents said I needed to go outside more. I grumbled as I walked out to the trail not too far from my house. I've walked this trail plenty of times and knew every path like the back of my hand. I wondered away from the trail into an open field. I looked around. It was a lush open field filled with flowers. The afternoon sun made it look like an inviting place to rest. I lazily walked into the middle of the field before just sitting in the grass. I laid own and began to play on my phone. I was outside, so my parents couldn't lecture me now.  

It had been maybe thirty minutes when I heard a buzzing by me. I looked up to see a bee. I sat up and stared at the bee as it landed on a flower near me. 'If only I could mind control you, then I'd be so powerful.' I thought as I watched the small insect. I was so distracted by the bee, that I didn't hear someone sneak up on me until they spoke.

"You l-like bees too?" Asked a voice from behind me. I yelped and jumped up. I say a boy around my age, sixteen, just standing in front of me. He wore a green shirt and simple jeans. But he seemed a little... off. I then noticed his bee like antenna and wings. I just stared at them for a minute. "O-oh," the bee boy stammered, "s-s-orry. I didn't me-an to scare you." His whispered. I considered my options for a minute. He could be dangerous and want to kill me, but if I called 999, they wouldn't believe me.

"It's okay." I managed to spit out, rubbing the back of my neck nervously. The brown haired boy smiled and crouched down to the bee. He held out his finger and the bee happily buzzed over to him. He stood and turned to me again. He held out his hand with the bee still on his finger. "T-Tubbo," he struggled with his words, "my n-name is Tubbo." He smiled up at me. 

"My name is Tommy. It's nice to meet you Tubbo." The small boy didn't actually seem too bad. He suddenly grabbed my wrist, which didn't startle me much because of how delicate his grasp was. He turned over my hand and placed the bee in my palm. He smiled up at me as the small creature just buzzed in my hand. I didn't really know what to say on the moment.

"Thank you Tubbo." I sighed. Tubbo had a wide smile on his face. I sighed again, "I have to go home now. But it was..." I considered my words for a second, "it was wonderful meeting you." The boy nodded and started walking into the forest. I looked to the bee in my hand. It was still in my palm, surprisingly. I lifted my hand to the sky to let it go, but it stayed on my hand. I chuckled and raised my hand to my shoulder instead. The little bee happily buzzed over to my shoulder. 'Such fascinating creatures.' I thought as I walked back home.

~A few weeks later~

I was starting to go to the field every weekend now. The second time I met him in the field, he was surrounded by bees. I started bringing random flowers to the bees. He was happy when I did. I tried to give him food once, but he didn't want any. At this point I assumed he was just self-sufficient. We didn't talk much, but it felt like we were best friends at some point. But recently, I've started to notice changes about myself. Patches of my skin were turning green and growing grass and flowers on them. As of now, the patches were easy to hide, but I don't know how much longer I could hide them for. 

Today, I walked out to the field to see Tubbo with no bees. This was strange, Tubbo always had bees with him. "Oi!" I yelled across the field, getting the boys attention, "What are ya doing?" Tubbo smiled back as I walked over and sat next to him.

"No bees today?" I asked. He shook his head. He pointed to the woods with one of his stinger like nails. 

"They're in the forest?" I asked, just making sure I was understanding him. Tubbo nodded. That was strange, he always had his bees. "Well," I suddenly said, breaking the silence, "look what I brought today!" Recently, I had started bringing things other than flowers. I had brought him a few pence one time, just to see what he would do with the coins. He was overjoyed to be gifted something. It appeared that he like shiny objects a lot. Usually when I gifted him something, he would drag me into the forest to show me something he thought was cool. My favorite thing he had dragged me to the woods to see was the owl nest that he'd found. 

I pulled a large textbook from under my jacket. Tubbo looked at it, confused. I had tried to estimate his mental age, but it was really hard since he didn't talk much. So I decided to go out and use my own money to buy an ASL book. I had been reading in the book for the last few days, and decided that maybe we could use a little more than nodding and a few sentences to communicate. I flipped to the first page and showed it to him. "Can you read?" I asked, like I said, I have no idea what his mental age is or what he can do. He looked at the book with concentration.

"Dys-" he began to stutter, "lex-lexic. Dyslexic." He managed to say. I was a bit surprised he knew what that was.

"You have dyslexia?" I asked, honestly shocked. He just nodded. "How do you know?" Because you just don't know these types of things if you live in the woods.

"Doctors. T-they told my m-mum." He had been to a doctor before? This was very shocking information.

"Did they say anything else?" I asked hesitantly, wanting to know more about him. He shook his head.

"Don-don't want to talk a-about it..." He said solemnly. I just nodded, not wanting him to push me away. I cleared my throat nervously.

"We don't have to. But I wanted to teach you something." I said, trying to distract us from the depressing conversation. He looked up at me.

"Do you want to learn how to tell me things without talking?" I suddenly saw a sparkle in his eyes, like excitement.

~Time Skip~

It was a bit frustrating trying to teach Tubbo something I barely even know how to do. The sun was glowing orange in the sky when we were done doing basic signals. We finished just about memorizing hello, goodbye, please, thank you, yes, and no. I wanted to practice sign language with him more, so instead of saying my usual good bye I signed it to him. He looked at me before replicating the motion. I smiled and took my book, since he had trouble reading, and ran back home.  

Yay! First chapter is done! I hope you enjoyed it because I think I liked how this turned out :) Go ahead and stick around if you wanna see more of this story!