I still remember third of December

The dusk comes as a promise of starlight, we laid tightly together below the beautiful, surreal blanket above our heads. I could feel his heartbeat against the back of my head and I could hear his soft breaths by my side.

I felt like I was on top of the world, Clay and I held hands as we laid in the grass, staring up at the stars dotting the sky in awe of how something so effortless could be so beautiful.

I smiled up at Clay, curling up comfortably in his lap, his piercing green eyes looking down to mine, a stray lock of his hair curling on his forehead.

"Why do you have to look at me like that? It's making me weak, please stop." Clay grinned; even his grin was beautiful, bright and playful and perfect, just like everything else about him.

"You are weak." I murmured, brushing that stray lock from his forehead.

Clay laughed, the one sound I wouldn't have minded hearing over and over. "You wanna fight? I'll one v one you."

"Okay, okay. You win." I pout, and rub my face into his leg, seeking warmth. It wasn't as cold as it was usually for the beginning of december, but I could feel the slight breeze nipping at my cheeks, making them bright red in colour.

He smiles gently and fluffs up my hair. He mumbled quiet compliments that I couldn't hear as I zoned out, closing my eyes I contemplated on the differences between us.

Compared to him, I was hardly noticeable, someone people passed by without a second glance. I hadn't been sure whether I was hallucinating when Clay had asked me out. I was still half-convinced I was.

He had the kind of face that stopped you in your tracks. I guess he must get used to that, the sudden pause in a person's natural expression when they looked his way followed by overcompensating with a nonchalant gaze and a weak smile. Of course the blush that accompanied it was a dead give-away. It didn't help that he was so modest with it, it made the girls fall for him all the more.

But there's a part of him I didn't like, he'd slowly became my whole world. I didn't need friends when I had him.

I have often referred to myself as someone invisible, someone hardly noticeable. I did have a few friends, but Clay took up all the times in my day, so we slowly lost contact. Most of my life, I have felt, for whatever reason, like an outcast - someone who does not belong. That's when it hit me.

Sometimes we are like stars- we fall to make someone's wish come true.

I thought that wish was mine.

Clay had gone quiet and continued to stroke my hair behind my ears, assuming I had fallen asleep.

I had instead remained awake and felt my eyelids flutter, listening for him to fall asleep too.

After a few agonizing minutes, relaxing his hold around me, I felt him go limp and I smiled to gaze back up at the photo worthy sky. I would call them beautiful, but even that wouldn't do it justice.

Stars are just shiny silvery-blue dots in the sky, so why are they so pretty? What makes it different than dots of light shining through little holes on a black paper? I'd never figure it out. Maybe it's the reality of it.

I glanced at him briefly, I was falling for him, like all the shooting stars above.

I just happened to be the one who hit the ground the hardest.