But you like her better

"Wilbur."

Wilbur looked up from where he'd been sitting on his bed, staring out the window, uncharacteristically quiet. Ever since Clay left, he'd been uncharacteristically quiet.

I swallowed, moving to sit on the bed beside him. "Wilbur." I said again, my voice quiet. "I'm so sorry."

He didn't meet my gaze.

"I'm so sorry for everything," I went on, hoping he was listening to my words, even if I didn't deserve it. I didn't deserve him. "I'm so sorry for scaring you, for being such a dickhead."

He didn't speak for a long time.

Finally, he took a shuddering breath. "You really scared me, Y/n." He turned to me, his brown eyes tired and glossy. "Shit, I thought I was going to lose you, lose you as a friend and really, truly lose the old you. And over what?" He shook his head. "That's what I kept asking myself. Over what? A boy who didn't love you back?"

I could only stare at him, a lump in my throat, as he kept speaking.

"And no matter what I said, what I did, I couldn't bring you back. I couldn't make you see that you didn't need him - didn't need Clay. You're perfect on your own. And the fact that I couldn't get you to understand that..." He choked, turned away from me again. I felt like the worst friend in the goddamned world.

"Wilbur-" I grabbed his arm. "Jesus, Wilbur. No - no, you're the best friend - the bestest friend. I'm the one who's at fault here, okay? You can't blame yourself for this. There's nothing to blame yourself for. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry for making you feel this way, and I'm not asking you to forgive me - I don't deserve that. But, Wilbur, I hope... I hope you can at least accept my apology."

He was quiet for a long time.

Finally, he looked back up at me; he didn't smile, but there was some light back in his warm eyes as he spoke. "I'll forgive you." He said, "As soon as you write the lyrics to that song I always catch you playing on your guitar."

Wilbur draws closer I feel my heart beat so hard I fear he'll hear it, and if he does, my secret is secret no more. I'm praying so hard that this is the moment he kisses me again. My eyes close, head tilts upward and then I feel his lips on my cheek.

I gave a choked laugh, a sense of strangely beautiful relief settling over me, making it easier for me to breathe.

"I'll do my best."