Brighter than a blue sky

And there they were again, standing in the hallway, Clay's arm around his shoulder, his brown eyes shining bright.

Beautiful. They were beautiful. He was beautiful, and I hated it. But I still respect him.

He was glowing, shining. Radiant as a sunrise, brighter than a blue sky and I couldn't compare; I wasn't even half as pretty.

Life's not fair. Even Wilbur got his undeserved fair share. Niki went back to live in Germany and had no plans in returning, so they broke up on good terms.

I took him out for ice cream and we cuddled as we watched horror movies together.

Wilbur. He was the sweetest as a child, always ready to lend a hand, always quick with a giggle, often followed by a generous laugh. His spirit was my sugar, he had every wish come true that he never knew he should wish for. But he'd never get much of those when he got older.

Wilbur placed his arms around me and I leaned closer to him. The softness and gentle touch of his arm against my neck made my back tingle. "Y'know... Y/n, I still like you."

I really hoped he was joking, this felt wrong to me, I decide to laugh it off and intend to ignore him. "Very funny, Wilbur." I gently hit him across the face.

"No, I'm serious." There was kindness in his smile, a gentleness. It was the smile of one who laughed with ease and saw the person under their behaviour, a soul-connector. He was the kind of person who lived how he believed people should, as if he were sunshine that only radiated from the best aspects of those he met, their flaws entirely invisible to his gaze.

I felt uneasy, my stomach was boiling and twisting, "Wilbur, I'm not going to treat you like a second option, it's just wrong and I'd like to hope you'd think the same of me."

As the daylight dwindled the tension in me grew. I squeezed my way out from Wilbur's hold and I swiftly made my way into the kitchen. Filling the kettle to make coffee I had no intention of drinking. Standing there staring absently at it.

When the kettle finally boiled and clicked off I was standing an inch from the front door, and Wilbur had finally got up and was putting his shoes back on and holding himself up against the door, "I'm okay with that."

Was all he said as he pet my hair and left quietly through the door. Not long after I could hear the sound of his black jeep's engine starting up and pulling out of my driveway.