You said it looked better on me, than it did you

The cold licked at my face and crept under Clay's soft green sweater, spreading across my skin like the lacy tide on a frigid winter beach. With purple lips tinged with blue and gently chattering teeth I hugged my arms around my chest.

"Wait." I said, moving to take off my oversized sweater - Clay's oversized sweater, a soft heather gray that made me want to write a song about the colour alone. "You forgot this."

He paused for a minute, placing a hand on top of mine as he shook his head. "Keep it. It looks better on you than it did on me." He assured me, reaching out to smooth down the sleeve. "It's yours now."

I hold the the neck of the green sweaters collar up to my nose, his scent was so much more exotic; I could easily recognise the brand of cologne he used - one of my favourites - intermingling with the outlandish aroma of grass from the field and sweetened cinnamon.

Averting my gaze onto him there was kindness in his smile, a gentleness. It was the smile of one who laughed with ease and saw a person under their behaviour, a soul-connector.

He was the kind of person who lived how he believed people should, as if he were sunshine that only radiated from the best aspects of those he met, their flaws entirely invisible to his gaze. He was a calm sea, dancing birdsong and the new buds of spring. He was special.

Before I could say anything else, another protest, or even a reluctant thank-you, Clay leaned forward to press a chaste kiss to my lips.

He pulled back and gave another smile. He was always smiling, while I could rarely find reason to smile at all. Except him, of course, always him. I smiled softly and went up on my tip-toes to kiss him on the cheek. "You're a beautiful soul, Clay."

He moved up to me slowly and pulled me closer to him wrapping his arms around me. His embrace was warm, and his strong arms seemed very protective when wrapped around my body, gently rubbing my arm.

The world around me melted away as I squeezed him back, not wanting the moment to end I sunk into the warmth of his side, appreciative of the simple gesture.

"And you're just as beautiful, Y/n." he smiled, as I recluntenty pulled away and walked backwards up my pathway and to my front door.

Watching me laugh and open my front door, waving sadly.

He said It looked better on me than it did you.