Only if you knew how much I liked you

The wind blew through my hair, with the sound of my dirty torn up converses loudly smacking the pavement as I ran.

I had been running for ten minutes and I finally reached my destination, knocking on the door and flatten my fluffed hair, the front door opened.

A kind lady have me a welcoming smile, opening the door wider and ushering me inside, "Hi Ma'am, is Clay awake?"

She laughed "He's still asleep, I tried waking him up. Merry Christmas, Y/n." She pulled me into a warm hug and quickly released me.

"Merry Christmas!" I call, already darting up the stairs.

Without hesitating I burst loudly into his bedroom, laughing at his shocked face as he quickly pushed himself up, laughing happily.

I walked over to him and as soon as I was within arms reach he pulled me down into bed with him and held me close as if I would slip away. Wrapping my arms around him I mumble into his chest, "I got something for you."

He sheepishly shook his head, "But, I told you not to get me anything." He pouted and clung tighter to me.

Lifting my head I rolled my eyes and lightly smacked his arm and reached into my pocket and shoved the small and neatly wrapped box into his chest.

He opened it care it carefully, trying not to tear the paper and smiled softly "Now you can match me!" I enthused and he nodded, holding up the dog tag necklace that read 'Y/n/n and Clay Block' .

Chuckling he put it around his neck and engulfed me into another hug, "I love it Y/n/n, thank you."

Getting up and still hugging me he walked us over to his dresser, opening up his top drawer. I laugh and squirm out of his hold to sit on the bed, watching the movie playing on his tv. The soft hum of voices and music fading into the background as the noises around me suddenly got louder, the sound of family talking and laughing, Christmas music blaring and kids shouting outside.

"Here." He set a gift in my lap and moved beside me the bed dipping, he watching expectantly as I slowly opened it then gasped, "Clay..." I trailed off.

He nervously scratched the back of his neck. "Do you like it?"

I responded with several excited nods, "This is so expensive- I don't know if I can accept this." I told him truthfully

Rolling his eyes he snuggled into me, "It's rude to return a gift."

I pet his hair and took out the bracelet, examining the charms lightly hanging off the thin chain, each of them actually having a small memory, which meant that he'd spent extra money buying charms that catered to me.

Holding it lightly I clasped it onto my wrist and moved over to sit on his lap, wrapping my arms around his neck, his arms sneaking around my waist as he hugged back.

"Merry Christmas, Clay." I whispered so quietly that he could barely hear it, but enough for him to pressed a soft kiss to the top of my head.

"Merry Christmas, Y/n/n." He mumbled, pulling back slightly as he gently grabbed my chin and kissed me.

In that moment of soft, quiet bliss, I wanted to say something, something that I'd probably later regret, but I already knew for sure that it was true. It had always been true, the three little words I wanted to tell him.

Neither of us had said it, never even mentioned it. We were both content with where we were now; or at least, Clay was content; quiet dates and stolen kisses, soft words and easy laughter, but nothing more. Nothing less.

But I wanted to say it; I really truly did, even if I knew there was a chance it would mess everything up. I didn't want to ruin anything, I wouldn't have minded if we stayed this way forever, but I still wanted him to know.

"Clay..." I said softly.

Lifting his head to smile at me. "Yeah?"

For a long moment, I couldn't speak.

"Hey," Clay said, brushing my hair from my forehead. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah. I just - wanted to tell you something. I wanted to tell you that I..."

He waited, ever patient, those bright green eyes so full and beautiful.

I swallowed. I couldn't say it, not right now. I couldn't take that risk. What if he didn't like me back?

"I... am really in the mood for pancakes," I finished my sentence, hoping Clay didn't notice the slight trembling of my voice.

He laughed, oblivious to my whirling storm of emotions. "So am I," He stood lifted himself off the bed, "Syrup or nutella?"

I smiled, a mixture of relief and disappointment swirling inside me, "Strawberries and whipped cream."

"Oh, of course," Clay said with a grin. He knew I loved strawberries; he always joked about how I tasted like them, sweet with the slightest tang.

"Come on, Y/n." He took my hand, lacing our fingers together. "Pancakes on me."