Now I'm getting colder

I was sitting on my bed late at night, my back against the wall as I strummed my guitar mindlessly, when Wilbur stumbled into the room, his eyes bright.

He paused when he heard my playing. "That's... beautiful, you sure you're a beginner?" He said when I stopped. "What is it?"

It was only then, when Wilbur said those words, that I realised I'd been playing that song, the one I'd been wanting to play for Clay for so long. He's heard it once before, I don't recall his reaction but it was an encouraging one.

Did he even remember it?

"It's nothing." I answered Wilbur.

"Does it have lyrics?" He continued to converse with me as sat and made himself comfortable on my bed

"No."

"You should add some."

"I can't write lyrics. You know that."

Wilbur rolled his eyes. "You can't, or you won't?"

I ignored him. "What happened at the party?"

His eyes brightened again, but he gave me an innocent look. "Well after I knew you got home safe I hung back a little."

"'Hung back a little,' my ass. You reek of beer and vomit. Tell me."

He didn't need any more encouragement; the words tumbled out over themselves. "I met someone - a girl and hell, Y/n, she was so sweet and-"

I glanced away. "Must be nice."

Wilbur fell silent.

I quickly sat up. "Shit - shit. Wilbur, I didn't mean-"

"You're not yourself."

Looking up at him I furrow my brows tightly together, "What?"

"You're not yourself, Y/n." He repeated. "You're getting... colder."

"I don't understand?"

He releases a sigh and moves to sit closer to me, "Ever since Clay, you..." Wilbur shook his head. "You're not the same. You're more withdrawn, you don't write songs anymore. You're getting colder, Y/n/n. I hate it." He swallowed, not meeting my gaze. I want my best friend back, all right? My stupid life long friend, I want you back."

I didn't answer for a long time.

Finally, I shoved my guitar back into its case, slowly shaking my head.

"You can't always get what you want, I found that out the hard way."