Goodbye

I woke up, oddly comfortable, in a state of brief happiness. Why am I so comfortable? What am I lying on?

I opened my eyes to see Steve. Why am I lying in... Oh right, last night.

I sighed as the tears began to flow again. Steve yawned as he woke up.

"Hey, Kitten? You okay?"

I just shook my head and he held me as I cried. I was so worried about dad. What if he dies? What if the arc reactor fails?

Wait a minute... The arc reactor!!! None of the doctors know how it works, it could be damaged.

I stood up quickly, causing Steve to give me a worried look. "The arc reactor could be damaged."

I lifted back the covers and finally saw where he was shot. My breath hitched. The wound was right where he gets shot in my dreams.

I started checking the arc reactor and the wires around it when I realised something.

"SHIT"

Steve looked surprised and worried at the same time (if that's really possible). The arc reactor was off. Not even badly damaged. It was just turned off, a piece slightly damaged.

I went over to my handbag and grabbed a spare, fitting it in place. I turned the arc reactor on again.

I only had to wait for five seconds before he started coughing. He was alright!

"Dad, you're okay now, right? I mean apart from the bullet wound and everything...."

He laughed but soon stopped, laughing obviously hurts right now.

"How long have I been out? What day is it? What's the date?"

"Shut up, dad. You were out for a day, it's Monday, 15 June." (I know it's January but Kat and I have the same birthday in June and... yeah)

He looked thoughtful for a moment before remembering. "Shit! It's your birthday in five days!" He tried to sit up suddenly but I pushed him back onto the bed (Aoife, get out of the gutter).

"Nope, you are not getting up! Isn't that right, Steve?" I turned to ask him but he was gone.

Oh...

Why am I disappointed? I don't like him...

Yes, you do. Don't deny it. I ship it.

Even my brain thinks I like him that way. My brain is such a traitor. Fine, maybe I do. Just a little bit!

I turned back to dad to see that familiar knowing smirk playing on his lips. The last time I saw that smirk was when he met Nick.

Nick...

With everything that's happened in the past two days, I forgot about him. I never mourned our relationship.

I sat back down in the chair, my happiness quickly deflating.

Steve walked in with a doctor. I'm not gonna lie, the doctor was hot. He looked like George Clooney to tell you the truth.

If I wasn't a motherflubber deflated balloon, I would be flirting so hard. Actually, Kate always said that I never stop flirting.

Kate...

My best friend for years. Not any more. Tears threatened to make another appearance until Steve started playing with my hair.

"Why are you playing with my hair?"

He smiled and shrugged. "Cuz it's fun" I couldn't help but smile.

Dad looked over, the doctor was obviously done talking and doctoring or whatever it is that doctors do. He smiled at me.

"Steve, take Kat home and make sure she actually sleeps properly for once. Kat, I have a surprise for you for your birthday, if I'm allowed out."

I glared at him. "No parties."

"No promises. Goodbye." He said, blowing me a kiss as I walked through the door.

My dad may be a cheesy, annoying asshole but I love him and I'm not letting my dad leave my life just yet.

Hey penguins!!!
How you doin'? 😉
I scared with the title, didn't I? Admit it!
SURPRISE CHAPTER!!!
Simply because I love everyone who reads this and I'm trying to convince aoife2313 to post a new chapter!
-Milly