24 | cookies and woolen socks

Salomé let out a deep breath as she let herself fall onto one of the café sofa's that stood in the corner. "That was quite the disappointment." She looked in thoughts, stared at nothing in specific as a small frown creased her forehead.

Leaning my elbow onto the table, I rested my cheek in my hand, tracing the coffee menu that laid in front of me, trying not to stare at her. "It surely was. What more do we know, now?" I wiped the tiredness out of my face. It had been early, with no luck in the whole situation.

I wouldn't say it was a waste of time, because more questions had raised and for some reasons, I really wanted to know more about Davu and the whole situation with Gloria and him having to leave England, if there was nothing to testify.

Last night, when sleep couldn't get to me, I couldn't stop thinking about Gloria. About what she had already been through, and would go through if her father would leave, too. What would become of her? My heart couldn't bear it, and the feelings of involving myself into the situation had grown much stronger. Maybe I finally understood Aurora's big heart for those people.

We had gotten more time to talk to Davu, but since we had raised suspicions last time, an officer had been sent to sit with us in the same room. Every time we had a question about his past, the officer cut us off, restricting the information we could get. We ended up talking about the weather, which was something the three of us didn't care about at all.

With no surprise, the next talk would be with an officer, too. Thank goodness, we had Daniel. Shambling his way over as his hands were full of a tray with drinks and sweet foods, he placed it on the table in front of us, asking one of his colleagues to take over the orders. He plopped down with a sigh, handing us our latte macchiatos.

"Grazie mille." I mumbled out, warming my cold hands by wrapping them around the cup.

He handed out the muffins after that, took a large sip of his coffee and glanced between the both of us. "How's it all going with the case of Davu and the little girl?"

I shrugged. Took a sip. "Not as well. We cannot get much information out of him. He seems to be struggling with his past, and besides that, one of your police colleagues decided to stay with us."

"We couldn't ask stuff." Salomé removed the paper cup that held the muffin. I watched her. "He cut us off the whole time. Isn't there a way that you can sit with us? Like, stay with us there so we can talk to Davu and get the information we need?"

"What information is that?"

"The former crimes he has performed, as well as the official records. He doesn't know the English political as well as the police and other arrangements. Who knows what he's hiding because he thinks it's a huge crime here, when it would have been in the country he came from? Punishments seem to be harsher over there. They have death penalties, right." Salomé took a bite out of the muffin, to which she hummed a little.

"Good stuff, Daniel. Do you have the recipe for that?"

Daniel grinned, crossed his arms over his chest. "I cannot have you stealing this. You're already a good baker. So, that is a secret recipe, my girl." Salomé nudged his shoulder. I watched the two of them, wondering how they had become so close, when all I had done was spent time with her.

Perhaps, the way she treated me was simply a mirror of my own behaviour. I hid the truth. I barely spoke. I didn't show myself, fully. Why would she to me, then?

Salomé glanced at me. I didn't know if she saw my confused expression, but her laughter died to a small smile. I wondered if the expression on my face betrayed the envious feelings I'd had for a minute there.