Chapter 12- Scarecrow's symbol

I arrive at the precinct and Harvey's standing there with two coffees. He hands me one.

"Two sugars, two milks." He says as he hands me my coffee.

"Thank you, Harv." I say and rub my eyes with my free hand.

"Dr. Crane again?" Harvey asks.

"Maybe." I say and walk up to my desk, I look at him for a second. "And his name is Jonathan." I say and fix some stuff on my desk.

"Oh, you're letting me call him by his first name?" He asks, laughing as he does so.

"Yes, but not in front of him." I say.

"Why not?" I hear from behind me, it's Jim.

"Because it's just unprofessional." I say.

"Aahh." Jim says and looks at Harvey.

"No coffee for me, huh?" Jim asks and I chuckle.

"Of course not, who do you think I am?" Harvey says and we both laugh, Jim let out a sigh but I can see the smile on his face.

I look at Jim as he struggles to keep a straight face, he also thinks that this is funny. I look at Harvey and then back at Jim. I get eye contact with a person behind Jim, it's Eddie.

"Hey, Nygma." Harvey says. "Got anything on the case?" He asks.

"No, nothing." Eddie says.

Eddie looks at me, I give him a weak smile and an equally as weak wave. He ignores me and walks away. I understand him, but it was only one date. I do feel a bit of pain from him ignoring me, we've been friends for a while after all.

"Is he still upset?" Harvey asks.

I snap out of whatever thought I had. "Huh?" I exclaim.

"Is he still upset over the whole Dr. Crane thing?" Harvey asks.

"Harvey, the kid can barely take a rejection, of course he's still upset." Jim says. "Though, I will admit, he needs to move on." He adds.

"It's been like two days, Jim, give him a rest." I say.

Jim and Harvey look at each other and both of them start laughing. Hearing them laugh makes me laugh too.

"Stop It! We have to work." I say and they both just smile.

"Fine. So, anymore clues on this Scarecrow guy?" Jim asks.

"Nope, last thing we got to know is about the Scarecrow symbol outside of Nygma's apartment, but we all heard that." Jim says.

An officer comes up to us with one of my neighbors.

"Mrs. Smith. What brings you here?" I ask politely.

"Well, you see, I was on my way to leave for work. When I walked past your door, I saw something weird attached to your door. I didn't think much of it until I saw a symbol, and by watching the news, that symbol belongs to that new criminal that you three are working on." She says.

"Scarecrow?" Jim asks and Mrs. Smith nods.

"Scarecrows symbol was on my door?" I ask.

"Yes, it was a letter, we haven't opened it." She says.

"Can someone give me a pair of gloves?" I ask and Harvey immediately gives me a pair.

I get the letter which had been put in an evidence bag. I open the envelope and take the letter out. I open it and its...

"Blank?" Harvey asks.

"A blank piece of paper." Jim states. "Is there anything else?"

I check and there's a flower in there. I pick it up and look at it.

"Is there anything on it that could hurt you?" Jim asks and I shake my head.

"Okay, we need a team to search your apartment in case he's planted anything that can hurt you." Harvey says and calls on a few officers.

"Go to her address and search the place, if you find anything with this symbol on it," he points to the Scarecrow symbol. "or anything that looks suspicious, mark it as evidence."

"We'll be there shortly." Jim says. "And while you're at it, can you send a team to Nygma's apartment, didn't he have a Scarecrow symbol outside of his apartment as well?" Jim asks.

"He did, yes." I state.

"Okay, send a team over to Nygma's apartment." Jim says and he starts getting some things.

"I have to get some things and then we'll go." Harvey says and walks off.

One and a half hours later

"Anything?" Jim asks.

"Nothing, detective." An officer says to Jim.

"Have you checked every room? Every corner? It could be really well hidden." Harvey says.

"I don't think we've checked the bathroom." The officer says and walks off.

I don't know what to say. Johnny has made my apartment into a possible crime scene, that is if he hid anything. I pick up my phone and decide to call him. I look at the phone, waiting for the letters to become numbers. He finally picks up and I immediately put the phone to my ear.

"What the fuck did you do, Johnny?!" I exclaim, trying to stay quiet as Jim, Harvey and a few officers are in my apartment.

"I didn't do anything." He says innocently.

"Yes, you did! My whole apartment is being searched because they think that you might have planted something in there." I say.

"Yeah, I can see that." He says and I become frozen.

"What? You can see it?" I'm confused. "Where are you?" I ask.

"Non of your business." He says and I can hear that he has a smirk on his face.

"Oh, for fuck's sake, Johnny. Where the fuck are you?!" I exclaim.

"You're no fun. Look out of the window."

I do as he says and I see a dark figure on the roof.

"Come meet me in the alley around the corner of this building." He says and hangs up.

I look out of the window again and he's gone. I walk over to Jim and tell him that I need to get some air. He doesn't question it and I basically run down the stairs. I open the door and feel the air hit me. I close my eyes for a second, taking a deep breath and then realizing what I was supposed to do. I open my eyes again and start running towards the alley.
I run into the dark alley and I can't see anyone or anything, even though it's light outside.
Out of nowhere I feel a pair of strong arms around me that carry me above the ground.

"Put me down!"

---------------------------
Word count: 1081 words