Chapter 9

ANNAH LAID ON the hospital bed with oxygen tubes attached to her nose

ANNAH LAID ON the hospital bed with oxygen tubes attached to her nose. She looked pale, sweat caressed down her face as she breathed in and out. Her lips are chapped and slightly apart, and purple bruises are marked on her arm.

My legs paced back and forth around the room as I wondered why Antonio would attack us.

Luca watches from the corridor then Enzo sidles up beside him.

"Where were you during the shooting?" I heard Enzo as he questioned Luca.

My gaze flicked to the door. Luca turned toward him then back to me, I caught his gaze and he cleared his throat. Luca and Enzo exchanged words before walking away.

I glanced at Annah, watching her carefully. I sighed, throwing myself in a chair beside Annah's bed.

I slowly gripped her hand and frowned.

Annah is injured and mama and papa are not even here. I sent them multiple texts and tried calling them but they aren't picking up.

I kept wondering who was behind the attack. Antonio never attacks unless it involves money.

The fact that he accepted to assassinate me, shows that the person who sent him is paying him a lot of money.

The bullet was meant for me, not Annah.

Leaning my head back I shut my eyes as I waited for my sister to regain consciousness.

- - ┈┈∘┈˃̶˂̶┈∘┈┈ - -

My eyes shot open to the sound of a monitor beeping rapidly.

Annah's body convulses, and my gaze moved to the monitor analyzing her heart rate. Her respirator hissed as her chest moved up and down.

The door burst open nurses and doctors marched in. I stood there and watched.

A nurse walked up to place her hand on my shoulder. I flinch.

"Sir, we need you to step out of the room."

I ignored her and continued to watch, anxiety rushing through my veins.

Suddenly Annah goes still, the monitor goes silent.

"Sir-."

"Annah?" I called out.

"Sir please, you need to leave, we have everything under control." said the nurse.

She slightly pushed me out of the room and closed the door. I stood there as tears sting my eyes.

I took a deep breath and then stepped back. Leaning against the wall as I waited for the door to open.

After what felt like hours the door opened and a doctor walked out with a file in his hands.

He approached me with a warm smile.

"She's going to be fine." He said.

I sighed out of relief.

"It seems she had an epileptic seizure, a synchronous neuronal activity in the brain. Due to low blood sugar and infection. Most of the time these episodes last less than two minutes. Right now your sister has calmed down so we'll run some tests and call you when she wakes up." The Doctor explained as he went through Annah's medical file.

"Okay, thank you," I said before walking away.

Blinking back my tears I pulled out my phone and then dialed a number.

"Yes," Enzo said over the phone.

"I need you to come to pick me up at the hospital."

"Sure." He said than ended the call.

- - ┈┈∘┈˃̶˂̶┈∘┈┈ - -

I find myself entering my offices and having the urge to break everything.

The room is dark. The only visible light is the light of the moon that is peaking through the curtains. I turn my attention toward the curtains and I notice the dry blood stains from last night that travel across the room and reach behind my desk.

I walk straight towards the drinks, I grab the closest bottle I could find, and just pull off the cap not caring what alcohol it is. I gulp down the liquid letting it leave a burning trail down my throat.

"FUCK!" I scream and throw the glass bottle onto the wall that is smashed into thousands of pieces and shutters onto the ground.

"Giovanni." I hear a voice-over on my shoulder followed by a gun cocking.

My anger boils up as I realize who it is.