Chapter 16

9 years ago

9 years ago

"I'm scared." My baby brother Théodore whines as he holds the gun.

"Seriously Théodore." I tease rolling my eyes.

"Relax, I'm here aren't I?"

"Yeah." He sighs.

I love Théodore but sometimes he acts like a baby chick that fell out of its nest. "Why do I have to do this? I hate guns."

"Well, when I was sixteen I already knew how to work a gun." I knew how to work a gun when I was five. Growing up with my grandparents was tough, especially with nonna, they would wake me up early in the morning to start training then go to school and come back to train again. But since I started at a young age I was familiar with how to balance both.

I still remember the first kill. I was six at the time when these two boys bullied me every day, I told

nonna but she said as a female everyone will take for granted the power you hold so I should show them what my capabilities are and make sure no man ever walks on me.

And I still take her advice to this day.

So I killed them a week later. It was the talk of the town and no one suspected it was me because I was only a seven-year-old church girl living with her 'innocent' grandparents in their eyes. Except for Nonna and Nonno, they knew. They were pissed but they got past it.

"When do you think mom and dad will be back?." Théodore questions. "Don't worry about them, focus," I demand, snapping my finger toward the dummy across the yard.

"What do I do?"

"Pull the trigger." I simply say. "Wow, you're such a great teacher," Théodore exclaims. "I know, now pull the trigger."

Théodore pulled the trigger and he missed the mark. "Wow."

"Your terrible baby bro." I tease messing up his hair. "Stop." He whines while he tries to push me away.

"Oh, come on." I giggle

"I said stop Gabriella!" He snaps. I step back and silently stare at him while he states unblinking and chest rising up and down.

"I'm not a child anymore."

"I've grown, you guys should stop treating me like a child."

"Théodore I-" I try to touch his right arm but he quickly jerks away. "Let's continue with the lesson."

9 years later

"Put the gun down." He declared.

I cocked my head to the side and studied him in a calculated way.

"You've changed."

"So have you." He says staring deep into my eyes.