Day 9: Presumed Dead

NOTE, PLEASE READ: This one-shot has massive spoilers to my books, Fight or Flight and Freeze or Fall. If you have not read them, you will be spoiled.

I chose to make this an extension/drabble of the first scene in Freeze or Fall, Chapter 1. Or at least, what came right before it. Again, MASSIVE SPOILERS. I warned you.

_____________________________________

Grian never thought he'd watch his own funeral again, not since Demise.

Then again, Demise was all fun and games. He hadn't really died for good, that funeral was just a formality. Joking around as soul sand was dumped on his head, muffled laughter as his friends have his eulogy, the funeral wasn't serious.

But this one was.

He could feel the guilt swirling through everyone who'd witnessed him fall. He so badly wanted to tell them that it wasn't their fault, that he was okay and safe.

But they wouldn't of been able to hear him.

The memorial was beautiful, and Grian could see how much his family cared bout him. Once again, tears were brought to his eyes as he saw how everyone had chipped in. 

Both Iskall and Mumbo gave their eulogies, as well as Xisuma. They held a moment of silence for him, mourning his death. The silence was deafening, and if Grian had actually been there, he probably would've felt awkward to no end. He wondered what he'd say to them when he inevitably returned.

That is, if he even returned at all.

Taurtis and EX were busy working out a plan, one Grian currently didn't have a part in. Grian wished they'd tell him more, but they'd said he needed to recover first.

Grian tuned his attention back to the glowing orb in front of him, watching as the funeral concluded.

Wiping away the tears with his sweater sleeve, Grian set the orb down. He heard a pair of footsteps draw near.

"You okay?"

Grian let out a raspy sigh. "M'gonna cry over my own grave."