Day 13: Hunted

"C'mere little birdie~" His pursuer whispered, sickly sweet. "I know you and your pretty feathers are here~"

Grian trembled from his hiding spot, clamping a hand over his mouth. He had to get out of here, he had to escape-

"Found you." A chuckle from the other side of the cabinet he was crouched behind.

Taking a deep breath, Grian darted out from the other side and sprinted away, tripping over his own feet as he tried to unfurl his wings. He just needed to get outside then he could fly away, he'd be safe.

But the abandoned building he'd sought refuge in was a maze of hallways, most of the rooms windowless.

Feet thumping on the tile floor, Grian ran down hallway after hallway, praying the worst wouldn't happen.

But it did.

He turned the corner once more, and a second too late realized it was a dead end. Grian ran to the end of the hallway, turning around to see his pursuer was blocking his only escape.

The pursuer gave him a lopsided grin, taking a few steps closer, and pulling out what Grian realized to be a taser. "Now now, let's not make this any harder than it has to be."

Grian pressed his back up against the wall, trying to make himself as small as possible.

He scrunched his eyes shut, waiting for the inevitable, and then...

Voices?

He opened his eyes to see his pursuer was nervously glancing behind himself, when two men rounded the corner.

"This is the Hybrid Protection Agency! Drop the taser and step away from the Avian!" One of them shouted, pointing a gun. He had a strong Swedish accent, his voice confident and calm.

Grian watched as the other man quickly handcuffed his attacker, and the two took him away. A few seconds later, two men and a woman rounded the corner.

"This him?" One of the men asked.

"Yes." The other man confirmed. He took a few steps down the hallway, voice softening. "Hey, we're not going to hurt you. Okay? We're here to rescue you."

Grian hesitantly stood up, and let the man gently pull him out of the hallway. He seemed gentle enough, a kind smile on his face. Now that they were out of the dark hall, Grian was able to see his rescuers more clearly.

The first two men were a ways away with his pursuer. One of them had an eye patch, and the other wore a simple cowboy hat and had a scar across his nose. They both had brown hair, and when eye patch guy shifted, Grian realized one of his arms was a prosthetic.

The man who'd approached him was tall, black hair and a very magnificent mustache sitting on his face. The woman was a little taller than Grian, with short brown hair and a pink cardigan. She held a first aid kit on her arms and was quickly checking Grian over for injuries.

The final man had some kind of helmet on, and just underneath Grian caught sight of shimmering purple freckles and violet eyes. That man turned and addressed Grian.

"We are the HPA, or Hybrid Protection Agency. We're here to keep people like you and me safe. Would you like to come with us?"