Day 20: Don't Shoot the Messenger

Grian was a postman.

More importantly, he was a postman of the nobles. He delivered letters to many royals across the land, whether it be the general leading a war or a secluded kingdom in the farthest reaches. But his job was dangerous, but not in they way you'd think.

Grian waited patiently as the King of Hels read the letter, scowling at every word. His rival, a General who went by Ex, had written to him saying that he had the war handled. Ex had simply told the King to stay out of the battles, and that did not make him happy.

Angry nobles had to take their anger out on someone.

And Grian was just the postman.

...

Being honest, he was lucky they never went for his wings. He was always able to carry himself home at night, to the Kingdom of Hermits. He was always able to sneak into his quarters at the king's castle, and bandage up his wounds, so that they could heal overnight.

No one would know in the morning.

...

Not all of the nobles would take it out on him. But the ones who did happened to be the ones he visited most often. Of course, the ruler of the kingdom Grian called home was not aware of Grian's post route, the kingdom and the castle was just a home base of sorts for Grian. Nothing more.

It wasn't until Grian delivered a message to a Prince on the outskirts of the Kingdom of Hermits that the ruler discovered something was wrong.

Grian hadn't returned that night.

It was awfully late, and King Xisuma was worried.

So he send out a small search party consisting of his best healer, Stress, and his best tracker, Ren. One of the soldiers, Iskall, went with as well.

They found him bleeding out from an arrow wound in his stomach. They'd quickly taken him back to the castle and Stress worked her magic.

Xisuma consulted Cub and Scar, the two men who helped keep the kingdom organized. They worked together to find who had done this, and in doing so discovered Grian's recent mail routes.

After Stress had done what she could, she'd notified Xisuma about the fresh and old scars all over Grian's body.

Something had to be done.

__________________

When Grian woke up the next morning, he was allowed a break from his duties until he healed.

And when Grian realized the nobles with bad tempers had been removed from his post route, he didn't question it.