Day 19: Number Buddies

Mumbo frowned as he got a text from an unfamiliar number. Well, it was familiar, the last digit was one number off from his own. Which was a strange coincidence.

Unknown Number: uh, hi?

After contemplating a few things, Mumbo decided to see what this person wanted.

Mumbo: Hi?

Unknown Number: sorry if this is weird, I needed to rant so I decided to contact my number buddy (you)

Mumbo: Oh, okay. I've never tried to contact either of my number buddies so this is a little new

Unknown Number: thanks, feel free to block me when I'm done

Unknown Number: basically im finishing high school and one of my roommates isn't right in the head. my other roommate is okay but doesn't seem to realize how unstable the other roommate is. im planning to move away as soon as i graduate, probs move back to england and change my name. im gonna ask my sane roommate to come with me, but he'll probs say no. im worried about my unstable roommate finding out. if he finds out im trying to leave im scared he'll try to hurt me.

Mumbo: Ouch. I can't imagine how you feel. Good luck on that though!

Unknown Number: Thanks. I'm Grian, by the way.

Mumbo: I'm Mumbo. Mumbo Jumbo.

Grian: nice to meet you

Mumbo: Pleasure. If there's anything else you need to rant, don't hesitate.

Mumbo: One of my friends is a therapist

Mumbo: Well technically not, but he gives really good advice

Grian: ok thanks

______________________________

A week went by, Mumbo not hearing anything from Grian. It was the end of June, so he should be graduating any day now, right?

Mumbo: Everything good where you are?

Grian: yeah, my bags are packed and everything. my sane roommate said no since he got a scholarship to a college in tokyo. im pretty sure my unstable roommate found out about me leaving so i wanna get out of here as soon as possible

Mumbo: Good luck on that then, hope you travel safe. 

______________________________

A couple days later, Mumbo found himself at the train station. He needed to catch a train to a meeting in a nearby city. He checked his phone. Grian had gone silent again.

One of the trains stopped at the station, and the passengers began filing out. One of them caught his eye, a young teen around his age, wearing a red sweater and glancing around nervously. He quickly made his way over to the group of people Mumbo was standing in.

Mumbo's train arrived and he and the group of people climbed aboard. Soon after Mumbo had sat down in a random compartment, the boy with the red sweater poked his head in, looking nervous.

"Mine if I sit here?"

"Not at all."

The boy thanked him and sat down, putting his luggage on the seat next to him.

"So... moving away?" Mumbo asked.

The boy nodded. "I'm praying I can find an apartment in the city. There should be a nice college around here.

Mumbo perked up. "Oh yeah! I just finished my freshman year there. It's a great place if you're into engineering or architecture."

The boy let out a relived sigh. "Thank goodness, I'm hoping to get a degree in architecture. I'm also looking for a minor in gardening or culinary arts, but that can always wait."

Mumbo nodded. He stretched out his hand. "I'm Mumbo, by the way."

A slight realization an a bit of questioning slipped over the boy's face as he shook Mumbo's hand. "I'm Grian."

The two paused and exchanged looks.

"Number buddies?" Grian asked.

Mumbo nodded. "Number buddies."