EIGHT

Athene drew in a sharp breath. Dwelling on darker days had never been something that she was fond of. She had no idea where to start. Truthfully, she didn't really know where her 'career' as a death eater began. She was sure that her parents had planned it for her before she was even born. She looked at the three men who were sat around the table, staring at her expectantly. Sirius' eyes were glued on her, he looked furious, and Athene knew that he had every right to be. Lupin's eyes flicked between her and Sirius, possibly to make sure a fight didn't break out. Finally, Dumbledore was smiling still, looking at the young woman patiently.

When Athene didn't speak Sirius did.

"When did you realise you were going to be a death eater?" He inquired.

Athene blinked and took a second to think. "In my sixth year, I think that's when I knew something was changing. My father gave me an old diary to study, said that there was dark magic in it. I couldn't figure it out and that's when his training sessions began. It started with simple duels when I was back in the holidays. Just basic things like disarming and making sure that I could duel properly. But in the summer before seventh year it got more intense. He told me I needed to learn dark curses; unforgivable curses, and also that I should be able to cope with pain. That's when he started using the cruciatus, I guess he knew that it was one of the Dark Lord's favorites."

"Were you present at the Quidditch wold cup attack?"

"I wasn't, no. My father had planned for me to be there but mother insisted that I stay with her. I think that was when I realised that the Dark Lord was back. My mother knew something. It was obvious that there had been planning."

Sirius nodded. Remus spoke next, "But you were present in the graveyard, when Cedric Diggory was murdered." The way that he said it as a statement, and not a question, made Athene's eyes water. Why was she bothering? They thought of her as a cold blooded killer. Or rather they knew that she was a cold blooded killer. How could they possibly help her. 

"Miss Malfoy?" Lupin said softly.

She looked up and slowly nodded her head.

"Father told me it was either me or mother. I didn't want her to have to go and face him, she's a good person. She doesn't deserve the pain."

"And you do, Miss Malfoy?" Dumbledore asked. 

"Yes, I do."

"Did Lucius often use Narcissa as a way to coerce you?" Sirius said, a sense of venom in his voice. 

"Yes," Athene replied. "Mother and Draco." Her eyes welled. "There was a situation, it was last month. I guess that it was the day when I decided that I needed to leave. Lucius was making me practice my wandless magic, telling me that the Dark Lord wanted to see. I refused. I was tired. He used the cruciatus curse on my mother. He wouldn't stop until-"

Athene had to stop talking. She was shaking all over and could no longer see due to the tears curtaining her eyes. She rested her head face down in the corner of her elbow and let a few weak sobs escape her. She felt so weak. The three men looked at each other. Remus mouthed "tone it down!" to Sirius whilst he shrugged. 

"What I want to know, Athene, is why you so vehemently refused the help of Moony here in your last year. He tried to help you, you could have avoided everything."

"I was scared." She said in a timid voice.

"Of what?" Remus asked.

She raised her head. Her cheeks were blotched and her eyes blurry. "My father tortured me when he heard about the form that my boggart took. Draco told him. You have no idea how alone I was. You have no idea about my family-"

"Actually, since your family is also my family, I do have a pretty good idea about what they're like. My mother was abusive towards me too you know." Sirius spat back. 

"Fucking hell, Sirius. When are you going to realise how different our situations have been?" Athene said. 

"How so Athene? Please enlighten me." He shot back angrily. 

Athene laughed bitterly and said nothing. 

"You had us, Padfoot." Remus said softly. "She had no one. She was in Slytherin, you were in Gryffindoor. Whilst you were good and surrounded by goodness, she was surrounded by evil."

Athene looked at Remus and when their eyes met she let the corners of her mouth turn up slightly in appreciation. No one had defended her in so long.

"I must say, Mr Black, I quite agree with Mr Lupin on this particular topic. Your situations are infinitely different." Dumbledore said with a chuckle.

"Where would I have gone, Sirius?" Athene said as her voice cracked. "I have nobody."

He didn't have an answer to that.

"Do you have any information on Voldemort's plans which could be deemed useful to us, Miss Malfoy?" Dumbedore questioned.

Athene shuddered at his name. "No, I-. I don't know. He wants you dead, professor."

Dumbledore laughed at this. "Tom Riddle has wanted me dead for a very long time."

"Lestrange. He wants her out of Azkaban. Her and a few others. I can't remember who but I know that Bellatrix Lestrange is the one he will break out."

"My deranged cousin," Sirius mumbled.

"There's a prophecy too."

Remus looked up, intrigued. "What do you mean?"

She shrugged. "I don't know, I've just heard my parents speaking about it."

"And what of your wandless magic, Miss Malfoy? Could that be useful to us?" The headmaster asked.

"I don't know if it is good enough to be deemed useful, professor."

"Show us."

Athene pressed her eyes together and inhaled. She opened them and stared at Sirius. He fell to the ground and screamed in agony, writhing around as Athene kept a hold on him. After five seconds, she broke eye contact and Sirius stood up and stared at her in shock.

"You could have done that all this time." He said.

"Yes, and I didn't. Because I really need your help."

"Okay." He said. "Tell us about Draco."

She breathed out in appreciation. 

"Draco is now entering his fifth year at Hogwarts. The way that Lucius is with him, it seems as if he is a year ahead of me, they have already begun to train. I'm not sure if it is to the extent that it was with me."

"After I left Hogwarts and the Dark Lord's return was confirmed, I was given my first task. I guess it was to prove my loyalty."

"Ashley Smith," Dumbledore breathed. Athene stiffly nodded. 

"I think that Draco will receive the dark mark within the next year. And I think that Lucius will make a murderer of him."

"So you believe that he too will be given a task?"

Athene looked at her old headmaster and nodded. "I think that the task may be to kill you, professor."

The man did not seem concerned, only thoughtful.

"My life is ruined. I'm scarred forever. Draco isn't. Not yet."

Sirius looked at Remus, who nodded, and then mimicked the action himself. 

"Alright Malfoy. I'll call the order."