THIRTY NINE

In the couple of months that went by following Remus' departure, he visited only three times and never stayed for long. Athene wasn't surprised and she didn't let it bother her. Despite the man's absence, and despite the descent into war which was happening, Athene Malfoy's life was, all things considered, good. She would spend hours with Molly and Fleur wedding planning, and would read to Celine and Tonks when they weren't gardening.

Both of her best friends, Fleur Delacour and Nymphadora Tonks, had fully absorbed Celine Nott into their friendship. She was ever so grateful for both of them, and felt silly that she had once worried that they would ostracize her because of Celine.

What had once been a fancy on Fleur's lips and a running joke between the friends had developed into something serious and proper. Tonks was most certainly falling in love with Celine Nott, even if she would not admit it to herself. The two would wander the garden for hours, or sit in the top room of the house and talk constantly. Fleur would joke that she felt like a "third wheel," which would make both of them blush madly. Athene would be overjoyed if they were to get together.

In the Easter holidays, Fleur, Celine and Athene had all been forced to sleep in one room, with Tonks occasionally staying too. The Burrow had never felt so full. They had stayed up every night, listening to Fleur describe Bill in far too much detail, or Celine compare the wedding which her mother had planned for her, with the one that Fleur had planned for herself.

 Tonks would always go quiet whenever Flint was brought up, either out of jealously or out of respect. 

Athene truthfully, felt the most normal that she ever had. She had friends. Real friends. And family, no matter how little left. She had Tonks and Molly who truly were her family, and that was enough. Her friendship with Celine was slowly on the mend too, Fleur was her best friend, but she and Celine got closer every day. She loved the three witches with all her heart. Even when Fleur was making her do something as tedious as wedding dress shopping.

"Fleur, no matter how many times we go to Hogsmeade, or Diagon Alley, the wedding dresses will not change!" She exclaimed to her friend, who was trying to force her out of the house yet again.

"Athene, I am getting married- I, your best friend- in less than five months. Five! And I don't have a dress. We are going today and we are not leaving until we come back with the most beautiful wedding dress anyone has ever seen."

"Fine," the witch grumbled, pulling a cloak on. 

"Dora," she shouted up to Tonks. "Are you coming?"

"No! I should stay here with Celly- Celine."

Fleur and Athene giggled, before apparating to Hogsmeade.

The French witch dragged her friend around the village for hours, going in exactly the same shops that she had already been in, and trying on exactly the same dresses. By midday she was completely flustered and stressed. 

"Come on," she grumbled, "let's get a butterbeer"

They sat in the three broomsticks, eating and drinking for another hour, with Fleur complaining that she would end up wearing jeans to her wedding.

"Bill wouldn't care," Athene said with a smile.

"No, William wouldn't, but my family?" She clutched her heart at the thought. "They are French aristocracy! Not to mention a bunch of veelas. I have to look perfect."

"And you will," Athene said sweetly, holding the woman's hand from across the table.

The two walked around for another hour, Fleur revisiting the same shops. Athene waited outside for her after a while, only to hear a squeal from inside. When she walked in, Fleur was holding up a huge white dress, covered in black lace detail. She was grinning from ear to ear and looked ecstatic.