TWENTY ONE

"Ah-Miss Malfoy, thank you for joining us." Dumbledore said to the witch as she entered the kitchen. Her old headmaster was sat with Tonks, Mad-Eye and Kingsley. Sirius and Remus stood behind her. "Tell me," he continued, "how are you feeling?" She didn't respond. 

"I'm sorry for these circumstances, Miss Malfoy, but they are necessary." Again, she did not respond to the man. Mad-Eye, who was huffing at the sight of her, spoke next. 

"Merlin, why apologise Dumbledore? She's a bloody death eater. Let her get over it."

Remus opened his mouth to speak, but Tonks got there first, "she's not a death eater, Alastor." Athene met her eye but did not smile or show any kind of thanks, Tonks thought that was reasonable. 

"We wish for you to enter Malfoy Manor in the first week of March, that gives you a week to train with Mr Lupin and ensure that your magic is advanced enough to defend yourself against any threats that you may face."

Athene rolled her eyes and broke her silence, she wasn't about to let herself be patronised, "I can assure you, professor, that my magic is perfectly apt." The man looked to Lupin, who nodded in confirmation. 

"Either way, training is necessary. You will go alone, I trust that is okay?" Athene nodded. Tonks, who had been mainly observing the conversation, started to bite her lip as an idea formed in her head. 

"Why don't I go too?" She asked the men. Athene stared at her in shock.

"Absolutely not, Nymphadora." Moody spoke. The pink hair turned red and snarled, "don't call me Nymphadora."

Tonks shook her head and her hair returned to it's familiar pink, she continued, "I can change my appearance, I could be safe there."

"Miss Malfoy does not need accompanying, I am sure." Moody said again.

"Look, we never let anyone go into something dangerous alone, isn't that what we're about?"

"We never let one of our own go into something alone."

"Well, she's my cousin, so as far as I'm concerned, she is connected to me. So, I'm going."

"It's not a terrible idea," Remus said slowly, quietly impressed by the witch's bravery. 

"Very well, Miss Tonks, Miss Malfoy, you will train together and separately, and you will both enter Malfoy Manor in March."

Moody began to protest at the idea of his prodigy risking her life for a Malfoy, but Dumbledore gave him a look to which he responded to by stopping speaking.

"How are we getting in there? I won't be able to apparate, and our fireplaces are mostly shut off-"

Dumbledore held up his hand to silence her, "I have it all sorted, Miss Malfoy. Your passage will be safe and easy. Do you remember Dobby?"

Athene smiled in spite of herself, "he's still alive?"

"Very much so," Dumbledore said, "he's a free elf who works for the order. He has agreed to get you in and out of the Manor."

She nodded, "okay," and then looked to Remus, "I'll be in my room, when you want to train."

As she walked past Tonks she grabbed onto her wrist and squeezed it and murmured an almost inaudible "thank you," the pink haired witch grinned.

"That was good of you, Tonks." Remus said to her gently.

"It's not fair to sacrifice her."

"No, you're right, it isn't."

Athene and Remus had been duelling all afternoon. They were both exhausted, but also both too stubborn to admit defeat and ask to stop. Athene had been duelling wandlessly to begin with, she could stun the man without even thinking of her wand, she thoroughly impressed herself. They hadn't spoken a word to each other, Remus felt that he should break the ice.