FOURTY SIX

"There's work to be done." Remus said immediately after the toast. Tonks shot daggers at him, thinking it was insensitive. The man looked towards Bill, the two had developed a kind of friendship since the oldest Weasley son had been attacked by Greyback. 

"I can ask Kingsley-"

"No, I'll do it," Bill said. "I'll go."

Fleur and Athene spoke at the same time.

"Where are you going?"

Fleur grinned at her.

"Mad-Eye's body," said Lupin, looking at Fleur instead of Athene. "We need to recover it."

The French witch opened her mouth to speak but Molly beat her to it.

"Can't it wait?"

"Not unless you want death eaters to get it," Bill said, kissing Fleur quickly and ushering Remus to the door.

"You alright, Harry?" Athene asked the boy. Remus and Bill had been gone for over an hour, Molly and Fleur were eagerly waiting by the door. Harry was sat alone in the living room.

"Yeah, I'm fine..." he responded, but he didn't look too sure.

"You know, he didn't die for you, Harry."

"Sure feels like it."

Athene smiled, "not everything's about you, chosen one," she joked.

Harry didn't laugh or even look at her. Athene sighed and sat down beside him.

"This whole situation is just... fucked. Tonight, with the death eaters, I didn't know what to do. I-" Harry started.

"Don't let what Remus said get to you."

Harry looked at her with a raised eyebrow, "no, he apologized actually."

Athene scoffed. 

"He listens to you," Harry said.

"Well that's because I'm a very intelligent witch," she said with a wink.

He laughed at that and she elbowed him.

"I broke up with Ginny," he said sadly. Athene glanced at him, unsure why he was opening up to her.

"Yeah, she said."

It was his turn to stare at her, "did she- what did she say. Is she okay?"

Athene smiled, "she's okay. Strong witch, that one. She understands that there's bigger things at hand at the moment."

"It seems silly to even think about relationships with all this."

"Indeed it does, Harry. But I think Dumbledore would like to know that there is still love in war."

She almost flinched at her hypocritical words.

"It wouldn't be fair on her. I- I have to leave school."

"I expected as much."

"You aren't surprised?"

"No. I can think of several things more pressing than NEWTs. They're useless anyway," she said with a wink. "Where'd they get me?"

"Well you-" Harry said, and then stopped himself. The witch only smiled.

"You know what I told you," he said, "last year. About the horcruxes?" 

She nodded. 

"Could you... well, could you not mention it to anyone? Especially not Mrs Weasley or Remus?"