SIXTY TWO

Remus watched Athene with a small smile on his face. She lay in bed next to him, her long, blonde hair, fanned out over both pillows, with The Bell Jar in her hand. He felt as if her could observe her forever. She, however, read each line as if he weren't there, but sighed and looked at the ceiling every few seconds. After about half an hour of him watching her Athene stopped reading for a seocond.

"Can you stop fucking staring at me Lupin?" She snapped, closing the book and looking at the man beside her.

Remus chuckled and Athene turned to face him, she leant in a little and kissed his chin gently, and then the side of his mouth. Remus sighed and wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her in closer, deepening the kiss.

"I'm trying to read," she said in-between kisses.

"Read then," he murmured.

Athene pulled away and lay onto her back and ran a hand through her hair, sighing.

"Too much on my mind."

"Ashley?" He asked kindly.

Athene looked at him and raised her eyebrows, "among other things, yes."

"Me too," he sighed.

"Please, no more tortured bullshit," Athene groaned, sitting up.

Remus looked up at her, "I'm a monster..."

"Please!"

"I'm old- you- you're young and beautiful-"

"Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind."

Remus smirked, "are you saying you love me?"

"Fucking hell, shut up Lupin."

"I can't give you the life you want."

"Again, shut up Lupin."

"I don't deserve you... this..."

"Expand, please."

"I can't."

"Merlin's beard."

Remus looked at her and grinned, "If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more."

Athene smiled.

"Jane Austen."

"Where it all started," Remus said softly.

"Ah, that lovely tattered book that I didn't ask for."

He rolled his eyes, "Malfoy snobbery."

Athene smiled and pulled a jumper on as she stood up, "some things never change. Come on, I'll make us a coffee."

Remus watched the woman leave his room feeling the happiest he had felt in years. He had never seen a purpose for his life after the war, but there she was.

The pair sat opposite each other at his small kitchen table. Athene was reading her book silently, whilst Remus was listening in to Potterwatch. When no familiar names were mentioned he sighed and turned it off. Athene closed her book and looked at him with a smile.

"Godparents." Was all she said.

Remus smiled at her, he did not feel like they were on the verge of war, or indeed death.

"I know," he said with a smile.

"It seems stupid, to feel so happy."

"No, I do too."

"Really?"

"Really, if a little scared."

"Why scared?"