THIRTY EIGHT

Following his return to Hogwarts, Harry Potter had promised Athene Malfoy that he would write to her regarding Draco. She received her first letter from him only a week after they had returned. She was so grateful for the boy, and the idea of Draco finding out that Harry Potter was writing to a fellow Malfoy about him was enough amusement to keep her occupied until the next one arrived.

Life with Celine in the Burrow was quickly becoming normal. The house was on its way to perfection again as Fred and George had given their parents huge amounts of money to repair it quickly, and Remus and Tonks had been staying with them through the New Year. She had spent a lot of time with Remus, usually just reading in the living room or practicing occlumency. She noticed that she did not care about him seeing her memories anymore, which was odd. Tonks and Celine spent a lot of time together too, which everyone but Fleur assumed was just her on guarding duties. The French witch always knew better. 

"I am telling you, Athene, Dora has a crush!"

"Fleur, you are ridiculous. She has known the witch for two weeks. Just because you are getting married it doesn't mean that everyone around you has to be in love!"

Fleur smirked and grabbed onto Athene's hand. 

"I wish you were in love, lovely Athene, it would do you good to have your heard broken. I should like to see it."

"Thank you," she replied sarcastically. "There is no room for love in war," a strange feeling went through her. The last time she had said that was to Sirius. Her heard twanged. 

"But you are so beautiful!" Fleur exclaimed, a mischievous smile climbing up her face, "isn't she, Remus?"

Athene spun round to see him stood at the door awkwardly, with his hand raised as if to knock.

"Oh- I- yes- what?"

Fleur bit the inside of her cheek to stop herself laughing.

"What's up, Lupin?"

"Occlumency? Did you forget?"

"Oh fuck- definitely not. I'll be out now."

The two had continued their training lessons outside, due to the lack of space in the burrow. They mainly worked on occlumency now as there was no need to perfect Athene's near perfect dueling skills. She was far less skilled at protecting her mind.

"You ready?" He asked, pointing his wand at her. 

She nodded and tried to push back.

It was both of them, stood in the reed field on Christmas night. Athene and Remus watched as they embraced each other and moved closer. Athene saw her own hand go behind his neck and his under her chin. Then they watched themselves split apart, both looking confused and breathless. Athene saw herself run away.

When they left the memory both Remus and Athene were on the ground, staring at each other. She could feel herself staring to blush.

"Was that- was that your memory or mine?" She asked him.

"I honestly have no idea."

"Right, weird."

"Yes, weird."

She cleared her throat and stared at the man, neither of them moved. 

"Athene!" Fleur shouted, Athene glanced at her friend, thankful for a reason to get away. "A letter! From Harry!"

Remus nodded at the witch and watched as she retreated. What the fuck, he thought to himself.