THIRTY FIVE

Harry, Ron, and Ginny returned home to the burrow on the twentieth of December. Molly was over the moon to have them home safely, and was apparently looking forward to catering for extra mouths again this Christmas. Remus too arrived on Christmas morning, and Tonks was staying with them until the New Year. With the busyness of the house, and Fleur and Tonks' constant chatter, Athene had managed to push Draco's letter out of her mind almost completely. 

Until Remus brought it up, that is.

"Did you hear back from Draco?" He asked her, breaking the awkward silence between them. They were sat in the living room with Harry, Arthur, and Fleur, none of the group were speaking.

"I did." She said simply.

"It was a horrible letter." Fleur spat.

Remus gave Athene a questioning look, but she shook her head. Harry didn't know that Draco was a death eater and Dumbledore wished for it to stay that way.

"Let's just say that I don't think he's interested in rekindling our relationship."

"His loss," Remus said kindly. Fleur looked at Athene, who rolled her eyes at the witch.

"He's up to something." Harry said bluntly. "So is Snape."

The older members of the order all glanced at each other. 

"Snape is a member of the order, Harry." Arthur said kindly.

"I know what I heard, Mr Weasley."

"What did you hear?" Athene inquired.

Harry sat telling the four witches and wizards about the conversation which he heard between Snape and Draco during Slughorn's Christmas party,

"A girl, Katie Bell, she was poisoned by a necklace she was given. She was told to take it to Dumbledore. It was Draco."

"How do you know?" Athene asked.

"Snape said something, said that Draco did something which was foolish and clumsy. Draco was denying it all. Snape said that he made an Unbreakable Vow to help him do something. Draco was saying that he's got a plan and that Snape doesn't need to know it..."

"But Snape is..." Athene started.

"A spy for us," Arthur finished.

"Snape isn't trustworthy." Harry said. "Nor is Draco."

"There is no doubt in my mind that Draco isn't trustworthy," Athene said, "but we have no reason to trust Draco. But Snape knows everything... He knows of us..."

"Has it occurred to you Harry, that Snape was pretending to want to help Draco so that the rest of us will know what he's up to?" Arthur said gently.

"Yeah, I know," Harry said. "But how can we trust that?"

"It isn't for us to trust." Lupin said suddenly. Athene's eyes jumped towards him and she raised her eyebrows.

"What?" Her and Harry said at the same time.

"Dumbledore trusts Snape-"

"Dumbledore could be wrong!" Exclaimed Harry.

"It comes down to whether or not you trust Dumbledore- I do- therefore I trust Snape."

"Dumbledore can make mistakes!"

"You're being very narrow minded, Lupin." Athene snapped.

Remus looked towards her.

"Snape told us that Draco had a task to do, but he said that he had no idea what it was. But now he's made an Unbreakable Vow? And is saying that he's making mistakes? Don't you think that's a little odd?" She prompted.