EIGHTEEN

Remus Lupin left the living room after Athene had heard him discussing how he had tried to comfort her. He felt embarrassed, he wasn't sure why. As he made his way to his room he heard the living room door close once again, he smiled, could Athene and Sirius really not tolerate each other for more than five seconds. He glanced behind him and saw that it was the pink-haired witch. He smiled at her politely but picked up his pace. He got to his door but was stopped by her deep voice.

"Remus," she said.

He turned around, "yes?" he asked with a smile. They were now face to face, stopped outside of his bedroom door.

"I need to talk to you."

"Oh, okay then."

Tonks looked at him as if he was being stupid, and then gestured to the door with her head, "can I come in then?"

"Oh, yes, of course," he said, pushing open the door and welcoming her inside. She walked over to his windowsill and picked up his copy of Persuasion. "What's this?" She asked, thinking that she recognised it from somewhere.

"Muggle book." He replied.

Tonks rolled her eyes and giggled at him, "boring!" she said. Remus smiled politely once again, the pink haired witch was pacing up around his room. 

"Is there something I can help you with T-"

"Do you remember what happened at Christmas?"

Remus swallowed. Fuck. He had so hoped that she had forgotten this.

"I-"

"I kissed you," she interrupted, "and I told you that I'm in love with you."

"Ah- yes, I do recall. Don't worry about it, Tonks, you were drunk-"

"No Remus-"

"Honestly, Tonks, it's fine." He said, speaking more firmly. The young woman's eyes were now filling with tears as she realised what he was doing.

"Remus," she started, but the man was already shaking his head.

"Don't, Tonks."

"I love you," she said, sadly.

"No, you don't."

"I do, Remus," she said, stepping towards him, grabbing onto his jumper and shaking him, "you know I fucking do."

"Tonks," he said, as he gently removed her hands from him, "this isn't right."

"Why? Why isn't it right Remus you coward," she shouted.

"You're right. I am scared. I'd hurt you. I'm a monster."

"You aren't a monster," she said through tears. 

"I am, Tonks. And you're young, and good, and beautiful. I promise that this isn't what's right for you. One day you'll thank me."

"You can't be alone forever, Remus."

"Oh, I can." He said to her with a sad smile.

"I'll never stop loving you," she said quietly.

"You don't love me, not really. You're young."

"Don't fucking patronise me."

"I'm not I-"

"You act like I'm a bloody child. Always telling me what to do and not trusting me. But my cousin? Who is younger than me, you trust her straight off-"

"Don't make this into something that it's not, Tonks." He said to her with a weak smile. 

"Do you love me?" She asked him bluntly.