Chapter 1- Hogwarts Express

SET BEFORE HARRY POTTER. 1987.

"Hazel sweetie! Come down stairs quickly or you'll be late for the train," my mum called out to me from down stairs.

 Today I will be starting over at a new school, in fact it's the best wizarding school in the world. Hogwarts. I've spent most of my teenage life studying at Ilvermorny School Of Witchcraft And Wizardry in North America, although I am originally from Alfriston in East Sussex, my Step Dad moved us to North America for his work. 

I don't know much about his job, all I know is that he works for the Ministry Of Magic, he tends to be quite secretive when it comes to his work.

 My Mother was also able to transfer to St Mungos from another hospital in North America. She's a healer, she loves her job but it also means she isn't home a lot. Which leaves me alone with my step father a lot...

"Coming Mum," I yelled back.

 I Grabbed my trunk full of my things and headed downstairs. I decided to wear something cute to make a good first impression with my peers since I'm new. I wear a white collared shirt, white tennis skirt with an oversized plain black crew neck. I look in the mirror at my long brown hair, thankful that it's straight and not frizzy. I've grown a lot since last year. I'm about 5'7 now and I've lost most of my baby fat.

 When I got down stairs I was engulfed in a warm hug. "You're going to have such an amazing time at Hogwarts, your Father would be so proud of you." My Mother and Father were both Hogwarts alumni. They were Hufflepuffs so I assume I will be too. I just hope I don't get Slytherin, I know my Father would be so disappointed in me. 

My Dad passed away when I was only 6 at the hands of Death-eaters. That's mostly the reason I want to study hard to become an Auror.

"I'm so nervous mum. What if everybody hates me?" I said anxiously to my mum. "I'm sure you'll make plenty of friends dear, trust me. Now stop being so worried, you have a train to catch!" 

I ran to the door to put my shoes on then to my mum to apparate to the station. I've always hated apparating, it makes me want to vomit. As we get sucked into a grey tunnel of twists and turns I find my footing again at the station.

As I say my goodbyes to my mother she starts crying into my shoulder. "I'm going to miss my little cooking partner so much. Now you have fun this year and make friends. Owl me everyday sweetie." As she hugs me tight again I can barely breathe to say goodbye, "i'm going to miss you too mum, promise me you'll owl me if anything happens at home. I'll send you a letter as soon as i can when i get there to tell you my house". We hug again and she kisses my head goodbye.

I hop on the gorgeous mahogany train and find an empty compartment and sit down. As the train is just about to leave I hear the compartment door open to reveal a girl, around my age with the most bright bleach blonde hair. She looks to be the same height and build as me.

The girl sits down opposite from me with her white fluffy cat. "Hi, I'm Layla Padin. You must be new, I haven't seen you around before?" she says cheerfully. "Hazel Montgomary," I hold my hand out as she shakes it. "Yes I am new, I've just transferred to Hogwarts from Ilvermorny in North America but I grew up in England, hence the accent," I say to her with a smile. For the rest of the train ride we talked about our lives, school and she asked me to tell her about Ilvermorny. We lost track of time talking about before we knew it, we were at our destination.

We both quickly changed into our robes before exiting. We Hopped off the train and headed over to the carriages that were pulled by Thestrals. They're such amazing and mysterious creatures. I've always wanted to see one. As they pulled us the rest of the way to Hogwarts, I admired the sight of the grand castle.