Chapter 3- First Day

I woke up in the morning excited as ever. I looked over at Layla who was still snoring and then over to the clock and it was already 8:15, which means I only had 45 minutes to get ready, get to the great hall for breakfast AND make my first class by 9 o'clock.

I jumped out of bed and shook Layla awake. "Layla it's 8:15, we're going to be late!" As soon as i completed my sentence her eyes shot open and she quickly got out of bed.

"SHIT! I call using the shower first" Layla called to me while running into the bathroom. "Okay but don't take forever please" I called back.

I got out my robes, quills and all my books since I didn't know which class I had first because we were meant to get out schedules at breakfast and I would definitely not have time to come back to grab my needed textbooks.

When Layla got out of the shower I went in and got myself ready. I showered and did light make up with a small flick of eyeliner on my eyes. Me and Layla got dressed and raced down to the great hall for breakfast.

When we arrived it was 8:35, we only had 25 minutes left. I piled bacon and eggs onto my plate and made myself a coffee because lord knows I'll fall asleep without one. I was given my schedule and I looked it over.

Potions~ Professor Snape

Defence Against The Dark Arts~ Professor Hale

Herbology~ Professor Sprout

History of Magic~ Professor Binns

Performing Arts~ Professor Flitwick

~FREE PERIOD~

Layla grabbed my schedule to compare to hers. "Hey! We have all except performing arts together, how exciting. Now I don't have to sit with any loser Gryffindors. Also I didn't even know Performing Arts was a subject? Do you sing?" she said to me. "I dabble," I laughed back "and according to Dumbledore, It's a new subject. He had owled me over the summer to ask which elective subjects I wanted to do and I jumped at the opportunity." She nodded in response.

I glanced up at the Professors table and saw a certain pair of eyes looking back at me. I smiled at Professor Snape and when he saw I caught him staring at me he quickly looked back down at his food. I had thought that It was quite odd but I let it go.

Once we finished eating we walked down to the dungeons for our first class. Thankfully we weren't late, in fact Professor Snape hadn't even shown up yet. We took our seats and I was sitting in between Layla and a red head boy. He turned to me and introduced himself.

"Hi, I'm Bill, Bill Weasley. You must be the new girl?" He held out his hand to me to shake. I took his hand and said with a friendly smile, "Hazel Montgomery, pleasure to meet you."

"Please, the pleasure's all mine" he replied with a flirty grin.

I went to smile back at him but In the same moment the door slammed behind us. I look back to see Professor Snape striding his way to the front of the classroom. He stopped abruptly and turned quickly on his heel and scanned the classroom of students, making eye contact with every single person, except me.

"Today we will be brewing the Draught of Peace." He said in a monotone voice to the class. There is something soothing about his voice I thought. As he continued to give instructions to the class I dazed away staring at nothing.

I was brought back to reality when Layla nudged me as a signal to get up. I got to my desk where the cauldron was and opened my book to find the ingredients.

- Powdered moonstone

- Syrup of Hellebore

- Powdered Porcupine Quill

- Powdered Unicorn hair.

I went and grabbed my ingredients and returned back to my desk. As I was putting my ingredients down I accidentally dropped the container of Powdered Unicorn Hair. Before I could react, a hand caught it just before it hit the ground. I looked up to see Professor Snape glaring at me.

"You stupid insolent little girl! Do you have any idea how expensive Unicorn hair is?" he said in an angry slightly raised voice that reminded me of my step father, I flinched at the thought of him. "I'm sorry Professor I didn't know." I replied sheepishly. "Of course you don't, you're just a clumsy, stupid girl!"

 I felt tears well in my eyes because I was scared he was going to hit me, lord knows my step father would have. He walked away without another word.

The rest of the class went okay. I finished my potion and gathered my things for the next class. Not much interesting happened for the rest of the day, well unless you count the fact that my Professor for History of Magic was a ghost! And Professor Flitwick set us an assignment to write a song that means something to us. What the hell was I supposed to write about?!

In my free period I had gone for a walk down to the Black Lake so no one would be able to see me. I don't know the rules on smoking here but at Ilvermorny I got detentions for it. It's not like I did it very often, only when I was stressed. 

It's a dirty habit I know but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do to keep herself from breaking down in front of the whole class.

Just when I was nearly finished I heard a familiar voice behind me. "Miss Montgomery what. Are. you doing?" he asked with confusion. I jumped at the sound of his voice and threw my cigarette into the lake, I hope a fish didn't swallow it. 

"I.. Uh.. Professor... I wasn't doing anything" I said very unconvincingly. "Don't lie to me Ms Montgomery there is no use for it, i can smell it on you. Smoking is strictly forbidden on the school grounds." He said with no emotion.

"I'm very sorry Professor I didn't know. I was only trying to calm myself down a bit." I said back to him. "What would a girl of your age be so stressed about" he said in an annoyed manner. I stood up from where i saw sitting to face him, "A lot more than i should Professor" I said back to him in a rather small voice.

"I will let you off this time because you didn't know, but If I catch you again," he said leaning forwards, "I will not be so forgiving." he said with disgust lacing his tone. "Yes Professor, I'm sorry." To which he replied as he walked away "And do try to stop, it is truly a disgusting habit." He said as he vanished.

I got up and walked back to the castle for dinner. At the feast I could feel Professor Snape's eyes on me. I chose to ignore it and talk about my day with Layla and my close encounter with detention.

After dinner I showered and collapsed on my bed and fell asleep without another thought, I was honestly very exhausted from the day.