Chapter 14- Cat Scratches

A/N~ a short filler one here, I promise I'll update in the next day.

*time skip 3 weeks*

I was sitting in charms practicing my disillusionment charm waiting for class to finish. I've been really distracted lately.

I've blown up two cauldrons in my tutoring sessions with Snape and landed myself a detention with Filch.

I walked to dinner at the end of the day and sat with Layla stabbing at my food not wanting to eat it.

"Hay you have to tell me what's going on. You haven't been eating and your grades are dropping." I was getting sick and tired of her continuously asking me.

"I'm fine Layla just leave me be!" I yelled at her.

I stormed out of the great hall not bothering to look back at her, I could feel eyes on me but I just wanted to get out of there.

I walked around the corner and slid down the wall. I began to cry and cry.

"Miss Montgomery, whatever is the matter?" I looked up and my eyes were met with sparkling blue ones, filled with wisdom.

"Nothing Headmaster, I'm okay." I gave him a weak smile in hopes that he'd leave me alone.

"Walk with me." I reluctantly took his hand and walked in silence with him until we faced a large Griffin statue.

"Fizzing Whizbee." Dumbledore breathed at the statue. It began to turn around to reveal steps which I can only assume lead to his office.

I followed him up the stairs and when I got into his office he gestured for me to sit down.

"No thank you, I'm okay standing." I said politely. Truth is if I get comfortable I'll start to cry again. A second later I heard the door open and I turned around to see Professor Snape.

"Ah, Severus thank you for coming. Hazel, It has come to my attention that your grades have begun to drop and you've been quite distracted lately. Is there any particular reason? You know you can always confide in me?"

"Thank you Headmaster, I know. I guess I've just had a lot on my mind."

He looked at me with a knowing glance and then proceeded to say, "It's quite hot in here isn't it Severus?" he turned to Snape, "It is indeed Albus."

"I've seen you in that scarf an awful lot Hazel, aren't you hot?" Dumbledore asked?

Fuck balls. Quick Hazel, think of something.

"I'm quite cold if i'm being honest." He then cast a heat charm on me.

"There you go, now you can take that scarf off, you must be boiling." what is this man playing at I thought to myself.

Well there was no way out of it, I'd have to take it off. Maybe they'll believe me if I said it was a cat.

I removed my scarf and both sets of eyes showed concern. "Miss Montgomery what on earth happened?" Snape asked. "It's okay, don't worry. It was just a cat. Wretched things really, I'm more of a dog person myself." 'Smooth Hazel, okay now keep calm I think it's working.'

They both shared a glance before Dumbledore dismissed me to the hospital wing to get the cut checked out. Few! That was a close one.

Severus' POV

She removed her scarf to reveal a nasty cut. It was not properly taken care of so it hadn't healed properly.

Whatever made that was definitely not a cat, the line was too precise and was deeper than a cat could go.

"You don't believe that cat story do you Severus?" Albus interrupted my train of thought.

"Not in the slightest." I responded. Albus was a wise man, I could tell he knew more than he was letting on.

"Then I trust you to get the truth out of her. However long it takes. She trusts you and trusts me when I say something is very wrong here." He was right, something was wrong, there was something Hazel wasn't telling us.

I had a few ideas to get the truth out, but I don't want to push her over the edge.

She looks like she hasn't eaten or slept in days. Hopefully Poppy can help her out.