Chapter 2- The Sorting Ceremony

Before entering the Great Hall, I was told by Professor Mcgonogall to stand with the first years so that I would be sorted into my house. When the doors opened to the Great Hall I began to feel very nervous. When I finally lifted my gaze from the ground, I took in the beauty of the room.

 Candles were hanging from the ceiling, which was bewitched to look like the night sky, with sparkling stars and the luminous moon, It was unlike anything I'd ever seen before. Four long tables with all the students seated at them as their smiles and chatter filled the room. We reached the front of the room and were greeted by the jolly smile of Headmaster Dumbledore.

He hushed all the students by a mere raise of his hand. As they all begin to quiet down he starts to speak, "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts, May the school year bring you happiness and fill your brains with knowledge," I have always respected the Headmaster, although i had never met him before now, his stories are legend. He continues the speech and hands the floor over to Professor Mcgonagall for the sorting ceremony.

 "Before we begin sorting our new first years, I would like to welcome our new student Hazel Montgomery, a transfer from Ilvermory she will be joining our fifth year students." I feel my face go completely red, I always hated being the centre of attention, let alone the centre of attention in front of the whole school. I walk up to the stool with the Sorting Hat on it and the Professor picks it up and places it on my head.

"Ahhh, very intelligent, you would do well as a Ravenclaw. Also a very kind soul, very loyal Hufflepuff would suit. Gryffindor would be a good option too, hmmm. You are cunning, resourceful, ambitious. Perfect for a Slytherin."

"Very well, it must be... SLYTHERIN". 

My eyes go wide and face drops as the Slytherin table cheers. No no no this can't be happening, my worst nightmare has come true. What would my parents think?

 I get up off the stool and trudge over to the Slytherin table and sit down by myself at the end.

Thankfully Layla was also a Slytherin. She made her way over to me and sat down next to me. "I'm so excited! We're in the same house!," she whisper-yelled at me. I smile back at her. Maybe this year won't be so bad after all, at least i had a friend. I look up at the ceiling, the night sky had always seemed to calm me down at home. Then i focused back on the first years getting sorted. 

I glanced at the professors table and a pair of onyx eyes met mine. When we make eye contact he quickly looked away. I examine the rest of his face. He has very strong features, greasy shoulder length hair and a crooked nose. I find myself not being able to look away, as if I was in a trance of some sort.

I get shaken back to reality when I feel Layla's hand swaying me back and forth. "Hey Layla, who's that?" I gesture over to the mysterious man. "Oh, That's Professor Snape. Slytherin head of house, Potions Master and certified git. He's probably one of the meanest teachers ever. Why? do you fancy him?" she said with a mischievous grin. " What? No! Of course not" I said shyly "I was merely curious."

I looked at him once again. Something about him intrigues me. something about his eyes seemed full of pain.

Once the sorting is over, Dumbledore waves his hand and mountains of food appear in front of me. My mouth watered at the smell of everything on the table. I stacked my plate and stuffed my belly.  

Once I had finished stuffing my face and dinner was over, Layla showed me to the Slytherin common room and the dormitories. Although it was dark and cold the common room felt oddly homely. 

It was a large room with stone walls and a high ceiling. There was a green tinge to the lights which Layla informed me was because the common room was underneath the black lake. She also warned me that there was a giant squid that I should look out for. There were quite a few black leather couches accompanied by Slytherin students. Though It was rather cold, there was a grand fireplace that lit up the room.

Layla lead me up the stairs to the dorms and to my luck I'm roomed with Layla. The room was dark. It was mostly black with green and silver decor. I guess I shouldn't be too mad about the house I was sorted into, green has always been my colour. There were two twin sized, four poster beds and a black bedspread on the mattress with silk green curtains surrounding them . I unpacked my clothes into my wardrobe and my toiletries into the bathroom. 

In the bathroom there were two sinks with a wall length mirror above them. There was a shower, bath and toilet of course. I changed into my pj's and plopped down onto my bed too tired to do anything. I even forgot to owl my mother to inform her of my house, although it might not be the worst thing as I had no idea how she would react. She had always said that not all Slytherins are evil, just misunderstood but still... would she be disappointed? I dismissed the thought and closed my eyes, felling asleep shortly after, exhausted from today's events.