Chapter 24 - [Chung Ha and Jackson's Story]

"No emotion, no feelings, no fear. Complete the mission. I belong to the KSI."

An eight year old Kim Chung Ha sat atop of a wooden stool in a top secret facility in rural Thailand. She sang her heart out, repeating those words again and again like a lullaby. Her legs swung back and forth, showing the true nature of her age.

Like all the other kids in the facility, Chung Ha was brought up in the KSI. She had no idea of her true identity, where she had come from or what lurked beyond the walls of the organisation.

But that didn't matter to Chung Ha at all. She never thought to question her identity or background because the KSI was all she ever knew. To her, the KSI was always right, that they only wanted what was best for her.

Her mentor, Park Hyung-sik, walked in with a bundle of papers in his hand. Before sitting down, he made sure to ruffle her hair, making Chung Ha giggle at his playfulness.

Naive Chung Ha always looked up this man. He always told her that for as long as she obeyed the KSI, she would always have a home.

"You must be the luckiest girl on earth!" Hyung-sik exclaimed, taking a seat in front of her.

"Why?" Chung Ha giggled, gushing over her mentor who she always worshipped.

"Don't tell anyone," Hyung-sik shushed her, placing an index finger over her lips. He leaned forward on the desk, looking around slightly even though no one was in the room. Hyung-sik was always like this, toying with Chung Ha's curiosity and excitement made her think it was a fun game they would be playing. "You've been selected for a mission!"

Chung Ha's face burst with excitement. She had been groomed to think that being given a mission was an honour, dying for the KSI was something she should be proud of and that only the best children in the world could train with the KSI.

He reached for the first file in his bundle of papers. Opening the cover, a stash of photographs fell scattered over the desk. The photographs were all individual shots of middle aged men, but none of them looked into the camera. They were all secretly taken, all caught looking down the streets, lighting up cigarettes or talking on the phone.

"These men," Hyung-sik began lecturing Chung Ha, "belong to China's biggest mafia."

Chung Ha didn't say a word, concentrating on the multiple photographs to absorb every detail.

"They're bodyguards. For the baby heir."

"Baby heir?" Chung Ha asked, snapping her head up to Hyung-sik. He hummed, loving that Chung Ha was completely engrossed in the plan. Since the baby heir was born years ago, the KSI had already decided that this baby would grow up within their control. When the time was right, they planned on training a child to specifically follow him.

He reached for a second file, throwing it in front of Chung Ha on the desk with a smug smile. He leaned back, sipping his coffee as he prepared to educate her all the minute details about this gang.

"This is Jackson Wang." Hyung-sik began, referring to the profile of a young boy around Chung Ha's age. Jackson's picture stared back at Chung Ha. His goofy grin was innocent; he looked harmless, so pure and gullible that one wouldn't think he would grow to become someone so notable.

"His date of birth is..." Hyung-sik continued, "his passport number is..." Chung Ha listened on intently, her legs continued to swing back and forth but she no longer giggled like a child.

At times, her duality could be frightening to some. When it was time to be serious, Chung Ha was taught not to mess around to waste the adults' time. She observed every photo on the table with scrutinising eyes, memorising every detail about this boy who she was tasked to associate with.