Chapter 1

The brunette looked around and waved her hand, gesturing the younger blonde to follow her. The younger girl seemed somewhat frightened, but the other didn't seem to have any problems at all.

"We're not supposed to do this. This is trespassing!" The blonde looked at the neatly trimmed hedge and bit her lower lip in fear.

"Come on, it's gonna be fun! The owners are not home and there's a pool in the garden! Don't tell me we put on our bathing suit just to look at the garden. We won't get caught, I swear."

They looked at each other for a moment, before the younger girl swallowed and nodded curtly. She followed the somewhat older brunette and crawled through the hedge that had an ugly gap in it.

"Look how pretty!" They both looked in astonishment at the giant pool in the middle of the neat garden. The house had been empty for quite some years, but the new owners had been focused on improving everything about the house and the garden and now it looked stunning.

They shared another glance, before they grabbed each other's hands and ran towards the pool, not doubting to jump in it.

The cold water tingled their skin and they giggled softly as they swam around. "Let's pretend this is your house and-" the younger girl got interrupted by someone clearing their throat loudly.

"What in heaven's name are you two doing in my pool?" A woman they'd never seen before looked sternly at them.

"We, uh.. we're.. uhm.." the blonde looked aside for help, but the girl next to her just looked up in fear at the woman.

"Come here," the strange woman said and watched as the two children got out of her pool. They trembled of both fear and the cold and she kneeled down in front of them.

"What are your names?" the woman asked, her eyes shifting between the two.

"I'm Belle and this is my younger sister, Ashley." The older girl had finally brought up the courage to speak and seemed confident as she talked to the woman.

The woman examined the face of the young girl and nodded slowly. She was rather intimidating and Belle felt her confidence seeping away.

"I don't want you swimming in my pool without permission ever again. Understood?" The face of the woman was expressionless and the children nodded quickly.

"Now, I want to talk to one of your parents. Can I, by any chance, call them?" The young girls nodded quickly.

"Yes, but we live right around the corner. I.. I'll get mom." Belle said the last sentence to her little sister and she quickly stepped back.

"Why don't the three of us go?" The woman evidently did her best to contain her frustration in front of the children and as they were too afraid to contradict, they just nodded at everything she said.

The two children and the woman left the garden by taking the door that was placed between the house and the hedge - the woman mentioned she didn't want her house to get all wet - and they walked on the streets.

Belle and Ashley were shivering from the cold, but the older brunette seemed not to care. It was rather evident that she blamed the children themselves as they were the ones trespassing her garden without a towel. She didn't feel responsible for them and merely wanted to talk to their parents.

"We're here," the younger girl said once they'd walked several stairs in the apartment building. The woman nodded and knocked on the door.

It didn't take too long before the door opened and she was rather surprised to see a blonde woman open the door. The blonde resembled both kids and exclaimed happily once she saw them.