Chapter 12

It was a hot day, but Regina never skipped on her daily dose of caffeine. She knew she had loads of work today and didn't look forward to spending an entire day in the office, especially if the weather was like this.

Regina had had this routine of going to Granny's every morning for a month now - since the first day she moved back to Storybrooke - and she hadn't said anything to Ruby, her old nemesis' friend, at all.

Though every time she did want to talk to the tall brunette, she did want to conversate with her, but she just didn't know how to start.

She entered Granny's Diner and walked straight to the counter, waiting for Ruby to show up and take her order. But it took longer than usual and she looked around to see if she could spot Ruby somewhere, being busy.

That was when she noticed Ruby, sitting with another brunette and an all too familiar blonde in one of the booths, discussing something.

Regina quickly turned around, hoping they hadn't seen her yet, but it was too late. "Regina?" Emma called out and Regina turned around, reluctantly.

"Good morning," she politely stated as she walked over to the girls' booth. Ruby patted the empty spot beside her for Regina to sit down and the woman obeyed uncomfortably.

"We're planning a reunion," Ruby said, as if they hadn't not said anything to each other in the past month. "And Emma told us that you told Killian that you could help."

Regina swallowed thickly. She was fine with planning the reunion, but not if that included being near Emma. She felt the blonde looking at her and even though Regina tried to solely focus on Ruby, she felt her cheeks turning somewhat red.

"I uh.. I suppose. Just ask me what you'd like me to do," Regina said with a polite smile and still tried her best to ignore the woman sitting in front of her.

"Killian told me you had a location in mind. Granny isn't too fond of the idea of having another party here, so we're kind of struggling to find a other place," Emma said and looked at Regina. She waited for Regina to look at her as well, but that took longer than expected.

"Yeah, uhm.. sure, I'll try to find something," Regina said and shifted uncomfortably in her seat. She briefly looked at Emma, before she dropped her gaze and stood up. "I really have to go to work, now," Regina said with a dry throat. "Enjoy your day."

"Oh, your coffee," Ruby reminded herself and moved to the exit of the booth as well.

"I'm quite late, I should probably just go. Thank you, though," Regina said and walked to the front door. She sighed relieved when she got outside, but then groaned.

How could it be ten years later and she still had no idea how to act normal in front of Emma Swan?

It had been two weeks since she'd first talked to Killian and they'd been hanging out a couple of times since then, still without Emma.

They just hung out as friends, avoiding the topic "Emma Swan" as if it was the plague. Sometimes her name came up in a conversation - totally blocking her name out was literally impossible - but they both just laughed slightly awkward when that happened.

Regina actually considered Killian a good friend now and she just hoped Emma wouldn't think there was anything strange going on between her and Killian.

"Regina, uh.. can we talk?" Regina turned around and heard Granny's door jingle as it closed. Emma came walking towards her with a sweet smile.

The brunette woman swallowed. "Well, um.. now's not the perfect time. I really have to go," she said and tried to look disappointed, but she felt her heart beating loud in her chest.