Chapter 29

Regina couldn't sleep. She'd tried to sleep for over three hours now, but it was simply impossible with the stunning blonde lying beside her.

She could hear the wind howling outside and it was quite cold in the room. She pulled the duvet higher up and rolled to her side again.

The brunette had tried to fall asleep in every position, but nothing helped. She thought of everything that usually made her fall asleep, but her body was too awake with Emma next to her.

Her heart rate had been higher than usual ever since she got in bed and her nostrils couldn't get enough of the sweet scent that was Emma Swan.

She didn't want to feel this way, but she couldn't help it. Lying beside her made Regina realize just how much she loved Emma.

"Why are you so restless?" Regina's eyes widened at the sudden sound of Emma's voice. The woman turned to her and slowly opened her eyes.

"I'm sorry, did I wake you?" Regina softly asked and frowned as she looked at her friend.

"I've been awake ever since you tried humming yourself to sleep," Emma said with a smirk and scooted closer to Regina. "Is there anything I can do to help you sleep? Do you want some tea or something?"

Regina shook her head as she felt Emma's body warmth radiating off her. "No, it's just.." the words evaporated in the air and Emma looked questionable at Regina.

"What?"

"Nothing," Regina quickly replied and avoided Emma's gaze.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?"

"Yes, but it is you," Regina muttered softly, hoping that Emma didn't hear it, but the confused look on the blonde's face showed that she definitely had. Regina looked at Emma's green eyes and gulped.

"Did I do something wrong?"

Regina quickly shook her head. Emma knew that Regina usually fell asleep quickly. She was usually the one that fell asleep late.

"No, you're just here and that somehow makes it impossible for me to sleep," Regina confessed softly. She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. "It's strange to lie beside you without even being able to touch you or cuddle you. Maybe that sounds strange or weird, I don't know, but.."

She got cut off by Emma, who pressed her lips against Regina's. Regina hesitantly wrapped her arm around Emma and tried to pull her closer.

Regina couldn't quite comprehend what was going on, but the familiar sensation of kissing Emma was back in her body. The kiss had come unexpected, but it was all she'd been longing for in the past months. She needed this, and she loved this.

"You're insatiable," Emma muttered against Regina's lips before she dived her tongue inside the brunette's mouth. She moaned at the familiar feeling of Regina's tongue against hers and ran her hand through the raven locks.

Emma's hands slid under Regina's shirt, one that the brunette had borrowed from her, as she didn't have any clothes on her own. Regina moved her hand down Emma's waist and played with the waistband of her pajama pants.

"We can't do this, we said we'd take it slow," Regina said after she pulled back from Emma.

The blonde beside her breathed heavily and slowly caressed her back. "You're right," she agreed and even though it was quite dark, she could still see the love in Regina's eyes.

"Plus, you can't be quiet and we can't risk that near the kids," Regina teased as she pecked Emma's nose.

"I can be quiet!" Emma defended herself with a loud tone that caused Regina to giggle. A giggle that Emma loved so much.