Chapter 30

"Do you think it's safe outside for the children?" Regina looked concerned through the window and watched Belle and Ashley play in the snow.

The time she'd spent with the kids the previous evening and morning really reminded her how much she cared for them. Emma couldn't contain her smile as she looked at the brunette beside her and desperately wanted to kiss her.

"I do think it's safe. We put many layers on them and we'll keep an eye on them. It isn't even snowing anymore," Emma replied and looked back at her daughters. "But I wanted to talk to you."

"Yes, that's right," Regina said and turned to Emma before she sat down at the kitchen table, which still allowed her to keep an eye on the children in the backyard.

Emma sat down as well and they both looked at each other. "Last night.." Emma started, not knowing how she was going to finish the sentence, but merely implying what she wanted to talk about. "We can't be just friends, can we?"

Regina briefly glanced outside before she averted her eyes back to Emma. "I feel like with us, it's either all or nothing," Regina admitted. "We can't lie in the same bed, without touching each other, without having sex," Regina concluded and swallowed.

"We're never going to succeed in staying friends until the children are totally okay with our relationship," Emma said softly.

"We've already failed in doing so, but Emma.." Regina looked with a serious expression at the woman she loved so deeply, "I don't think they're ever going to be one hundred percent okay with it. Nothing tops their mom and dad together."

"Maybe we shouldn't let it depend so much on them. And Ashley was okay with it already, right?"

Regina examined Emma's face and nodded slowly. "She was. And Belle wasn't totally opposed to the idea, but she just seemed like she wasn't too fond of it either," Regina reminisced and sighed softly.

"I think this decision isn't up to them, but to us," Emma concluded.

Emma looked outside and saw her children building a snowman in the garden. Belle looked up and waved briefly at the two of them, before she continued playing with her sister in the snow.

Ashley talked to her sister before she walked towards the back door and opened it, causing a wave of cold air to wash inside. The blonde had a red nose and pink cheeks as she grinned at the two women, but Emma noticed she looked specifically at Regina.

"Do you want to help us build another snowman?" the girl asked and beamed at the older brunette, who shared a look with Emma.

"You don't want me to help?" Emma inquired, pretending to be offended.

"Well.. you haven't watched Frozen and Regina also helped us yesterday, so.." Ashley was already leaving a trail of snow in the house as she walked inside to Regina.

She grabbed the woman's arm and forced her to stand up, causing Regina to softly chuckle. "I'd love to come outside, but I'm afraid I'll catch a cold if I don't put on my jacket," Regina said.

Ashley looked disappointed, but shrugged. "You can get it. Then you'll come outside?"

Regina nodded with a chuckle and watched as the blonde girl walked outside again. Then, she turned to Emma and gestured at the backyard.

"Would you mind me going outside?" she asked carefully, but Emma shook her head.

"Of course not. Not many people get to see your playful side," Emma replied with a wink and stood up as well. "Let me help you get your jacket."

They walked to the hallway together and Emma fumbled with her hands as Regina put on her coat. She closed her eyes for a moment as she inhaled deeply and then met with the brunette's gaze.