Chapter 24

They sat down in Emma's childhood bedroom. Regina looked intrigued around at the leftovers of Emma's youth. She looked at the pictures that still hung on Emma's wall from when she was a teen and younger.

"Never thought I'd be in your room," Regina said with a soft chuckle to lighten the mood. Emma offered her a nervous smile as well and looked at the woman beside her.

They were sitting on her bed and neither had brought up the courage to start talking, afraid of what was to come. Until Regina eventually cleared her throat and looked at her girlfriend.

"I'm just going to start talking about what happened yesterday, and you can tell me if what I'm saying is wrong when I'm finished," Regina started and swallowed.  "When Belle saw us yesterday and left in tears, I started really thinking about our relationship. Belle seemed so utterly heartbroken and devastated, and knowing that was my fault just broke me. I realized that your daughter doesn't approve of her mother in a relationship with someone else. Or maybe she didn't like it because you were with me."

She kept quiet for a moment and put her index finger on Emma's lips, when she saw the woman was about to speak.

"I always knew that, if I were to get involved with someone who had children on their own, I wouldn't continue the relationship if the children aren't okay with it and I stand by that," Regina said and stared at Emma. She tucked a lock of hair behind Emma's ear and smiled vaguely. "I love you so much, Emma," she continued softly, "but I cannot be with you, unless you tell me your kids are one hundred percent okay with it, which I don't expect."

Emma stayed quiet. Too quiet for Regina's liking and the woman shifted uncomfortably in her seat on the soft mattress.

"Please respond, Emma," she said softly and suddenly noticed the glossy layer in Emma's eyes. The blonde blinked a few times and nodded curtly.

"Even though the same thing has been on my mind since yesterday morning, I can't believe we're officiating it," Emma replied softly. "Belle and Ashley weren't thrilled by the discovery, to say the least."

Regina scooted slightly away from Emma and pursed her lips together for a brief moment. "I really don't want to break us up," Emma said.

"But it's the only option, now," Regina added and closed her eyes for a moment. She felt the mattress move beside her and did her best to contain her tears, when she suddenly felt the softest pair of lips against her own.

Regina cupped Emma's cheek and pulled back to look at the blonde. "I'm already so grateful for the time we've had in the past three months," Regina admitted softly. "And no one can take those memories away."

Emma smiled and nodded in agreement as she rested her forehead against Regina's. "Will we keep in touch with each other?" she softly inquired, but she knew that, regardless of what Regina would answer, they'd avoid each other the coming time. Simply, because it would be too painful to face this heartbreak.

~~~~

Although her mother had always been very interested in her love life, Regina hadn't shared a lot with her about Emma. Of course, Cora knew that Regina and Emma were dating, but she had no clue as to how their relationship really was.

She'd seen Emma once, but Regina had been quick to escort her away and distract her with some task, though Cora didn't really know why Regina didn't want her to meet Emma.

So, when Regina called her on Sunday afternoon, inviting herself over, she was determined to know more about her daughter's relationship with the blonde girl.