Chapter 18

"And they lived happily ever after," Emma finished the book and looked at Ashley. They girl had fallen asleep and when she looked at the other side of the room she saw that Belle had trouble staying awake.

She gently kissed her daughter's forehead and slowly moved to Belle's bed. Belle seemed to be trying hard to keep her eyes open, but Emma saw that she desperately wanted to close them. She was fighting against the sleep and Emma didn't know why.

"Why don't you try to sleep as well, honey?" Emma asked her daughter and stroked the girl's forehead. She wiped some hairs away and Belle yawned.

"Because I want to see daddy before I fall asleep," she said softly. "He should be home early tonight, right?"

Emma sighed softly. Killian had been later than usual every day this week and she hadn't asked why. She wasn't sure she wanted to know why, but tonight it had been much later than the previous days.

"I'm sure he's just busy catching thieves," Emma said with a smile. "I'll tell him to kiss you goodnight before he goes to bed. But try to sleep a little, okay?" she asked softly.

Belle had already stopped listening. She snored softly as she held her teddy bear tightly pressed against her chest. Emma tucked her in and kissed the girl's forehead.

"I love you, honey," she whispered. "I love you both."

Emma softly left the bedroom and carefully closed the bedroom door, not wanting to wake them up. She prepared some tea for herself, changed into some comfortable clothes and relaxed on the couch.

She grabbed the newspaper, but right when she wanted to start reading about new fires in the forests, the door to the apartment opened and Killian appeared.

Emma knew it as soon as she saw Killian. He'd made a decision. It had been three weeks since he'd confessed he liked his colleague Robin and ever since then, Emma was just waiting for the moment that Killian would make a final decision.

He softly closed the door, took off his coat and sat down in front of her. They didn't share a word as he did so and just looked at each other for a moment.

Killian closed his eyes and sighed. "I need to be with him," he confessed and Emma nodded slowly. "The past week, I've been talking to Robin, that's why I was home late. He's still "recovering" from his divorce with Mario, but we've talked a lot and he said he likes me too," Killian softly said. "A lot."

Emma nodded understood and drank some of her tea. She wanted him to continue talking, because she could see he wasn't finished just yet.

"Then, after work today, I talked to Regina," Killian continued. Emma had been rather surprised when she first found out that Killian and Regina were still hanging out, even though she'd slept with the woman. "She told me that I need to think every step through from now on. I don't just want to leave you and the kids, but my heart longs for Robin. Regina told me I need to make a plan on how this is going to continue," Killian said.

Emma continued nodding, this time in agreement. "And she said that after I was done talking to you, she'd like to have a word with you," Killian said softly.

Emma looked confused at her husband. She hadn't spoken to Regina ever since the woman returned her underwear and she hadn't felt the need to do so since she saw Regina kissing Mal.

She knew Regina had all the rights to kiss Mal, but she still felt bad. "I don't think I want to talk to her," Emma said softly and the apartment door opened.

"Maybe if I look at you with these puppy eyes?" Regina entered their apartment and widened her eyes as she pouted and looked at Emma.

Emma felt her heart flutter and couldn't help but giggle. Regina grabbed a chair and sat down in front of Emma.