Chapter 2: Strong Attraction

The next day I ended up curling my hair, parting it to the side for a change. I even braved to wear my red lipstick, secretly wanting to impress Leo. After putting on a stylish outfit of a black tank top over a yellow, long coat that was black checkered over a matching skirt, I was ready to leave.

The minute I saw Leo on the school grounds he grinned at me, and we ended up meeting up by his locker.

"Like I was telling my mom, L.A.'s okay, but it's nothing like New York. You guys are all so bright and preppy here."

"What's wrong with that," I asked with my arms crossed as I leaned on the locker next to his.

"Nothing. I just like the excitement, not so much the danger, but that just goes along with it. I wish we hadn't moved like 3,000 miles in the first place, but we didn't have a choice."

"Why did you move?"

"Hey, I don't want to talk about it," he snapped, but then he relaxed when he saw the way I flinched. "I'm sorry, it's just not something I'm comfortable talking about."

"I understand."

"You know, I'm surprised you don't have like a million friends."

"Why?" I started walking by him as we ventured the halls.

"You just seem like the popular type," he shrugged.

"Yeah, the girl with social anxiety..."

"That doesn't define you. I never would have guessed you had it."

"It's easier to talk to you, Leo. You're different than the other kids around here."

"Apparently," he faintly snorted.

"So, do you have any plans for lunch?" I started messing with my sleeves as I grew nervous.

"Nah, I'll probably just have a smoke behind the school, maybe avoid the disgusting school lunch."

"We have good food here," I quietly defended.

"No way. A school with good food?" He didn't look as though he believed me.

"Yeah, they serve stuff like pizza and cheese stuffed breadsticks."

"Give me some of that shit. It does sound good," he admitted, causing me to smile a little. I found it kind of cute the way he cussed, despite my upbringing to be a "good girl."

"We could eat it outside together," I suggested.

"Okay." Just then we separated for the classes we didn't share together. I hated how I didn't get to see him all morning, except for random passings in the hall.

When lunch rolled around, I almost laughed out loud when I saw Leo's plate stacked with three slices of pizza.

"How did you manage that," I wondered when he reached me behind the building.

"I just complimented the lunch lady. I think I'm going to like it here. That never worked at my old school, except who would be asking for more food there?"

I smiled some as I nibbled on my breadstick, blushing when the cheese wouldn't break off from the center. Leo just laughed, causing me to blush brightly.

"You're all red, Ava," he teased.

"I'm usually not a messy eater, I swear," I defended, still feeling mortified.

"Hey, don't sweat it." He then proceeded to purposely make sure his cheese was stretching out as far as possible. I couldn't help but feel extra happy that he did that to cheer me up. After we had consumed all of our food, we realized that there was still 10 minutes left on the clock. That's when Leo took out a cigarette, lighting it up with his army green lighter.