Chapter 9: Burnt Pancakes and Shopping

I fluttered my eyes open after a restful night, taking in my surroundings as I lied straight on my back with my arms above my head. My lights were on an automatic dimmer, so that there was a bit of light around 6 in the morning, since I didn't have windows to stream sunlight through. I turned my head to see an empty spot beside me, furrowing my eyebrows as I wondered where Leo had gone. I forced myself to sit up before getting off my bed, curious if my mom had gotten home yet. I ventured upstairs after using the bathroom, finding Leo in my kitchen gathering ingredients such as butter, eggs, baking powder, flour, and sugar.

"So, you can cook too," I stated, startling him as he jerked his head up.

"Yeah, I was going to surprise you." I walked up to him as I wrapped my arms around his waist, causing him to get the cutest grin.

"Is my mom home yet," I asked quietly, rubbing his back soothingly as he gazed down at me. He was already almost 6 foot at 5' 8", while I was only 5' 5."

"I don't think so. No one said anything when I came up here."

"Do you need help with breakfast?"

"Of course, my love," he joked, causing me to blush faintly.

I pulled away, so that we could start mixing the food. I fell in love with how he placed his hands over my own from behind, guiding me in doing everything. He rested his chin on my shoulder as he aided me in cracking an egg, both of us knowing I was capable of doing this all on my own, but we wanted to be close while preparing the meal. He kissed my cheek as the batter bubbled slightly in the pan, me shutting my eyes as I memorized the feeling. His lips lingered against my skin before he gingerly tilted my chin, so that our lips could meet. The heat rushed to my face as he kept his lips captured with mine, deepening the kiss gradually. I forgot about the pancakes on the stove as I turned around, pushing against his chest, so that his back fell against the edge of the bar behind us in the middle of the room. I could feel the dry flour getting caked on my arms from his hands as he ran them up and down, forgetting to breathe as we continued our make out session. Leo eventually broke apart though as I just trailed my lips to kiss his cheek instead, reaching his temple next.

"I smell something burning," he remarked. I suddenly tore away from him as I gasped, panicking when I saw the flames from the front burner. The smoke alarm went off as I just paced in desperation as I tried to think of how to fix it. Leo jumped in and saved the day though, pouring an entire container of baking soda over it. I was relieved that it did the trick, the house becoming quiet again after the smoke cleared. I couldn't help but laugh out loud as I ran my hand straight back through my long hair, holding a fistful of it at the base of my neck.

"Thanks, Leo," I expressed, him turning off the appliance as he also retrieved the container with black burnt pancake in it.

"No problem." He went right to work on scraping the nasty residue off after pouring most of it into the silver, round garbage can nearby with a foot pedal.

I watched as he did that, going to get a few dish towels to clean up the other mess. We had to wait until the stove cooled off, but right after we got rid of the baking soda.

"So much for breakfast," I commented, it taking quite a bit of time just to clean the kitchen.

"I'm sorry, Ava, I should have been paying attention." He took full responsibility, but I shook my head in response.

"Don't be sorry. I'm not." I grabbed his arms gently as I backed him up against the edge of the counter again, surprised by how bold I had been. I guess knowing he returned my feelings took out the second guessing and nerves. We were both leaning in painfully slow before our lips met, this kiss more passionate than the last, which I didn't think was possible. We abruptly broke apart though when there was a loud thud, Leo literally jumped up to sit on the bar. I stifled a laugh at his reaction, my complexion transforming to a pink shade when I spotted my mother coming in, her car keys still dangling from her hand.