Chapter 1-Heartache

I slip on a lacy black halter top while gazing at myself through the reflection in the mirror, "Oh, you should wear that top; I love it," Lacy blurts out while sitting on my bed, flipping through a magazine.

"You think so? Aaron generally doesn't like me to wear stuff like this." I respond as I brush the fabric down against my skin, wrinkling my nose as I realize the fabric is a little scratchy for my taste.

She snorts, "Who cares what Aaron thinks?"

I glance down at my engagement ring, taking my thumb and rolling it around my ring finger, "Well, I do. I guess. He is my fiancé, after all."

She sighs audibly and shakes her head from side to side as she continues to flip through the magazine. Lacy has been my best friend since the seventh grade. She lives directly behind me; her backyard backs up to my backyard.

Aaron is my fiancé; he just proposed to me a couple of weeks ago. We've been together since my sophomore year of high school. The three of us attend the same college, The University of Cincinnati. Aaron is pre-med, Lacy studies marketing while I'm in nursing school.

She glances down at her watch, "Girl, you are gonna make us late," she says with an irritated tone as she gets up from the bed, stands beside me, and checks herself out in the mirror.

I enviously gaze at her figure as she stands there, turning side to side. She's the girl that every girl loves to hate, and every guy wants to fuck. She has long, wavy auburn hair, green eyes, perfect teeth, and a body to die for. As if it matters what she wears because the girl is smokin hot in anything, she's wearing a low-cut black see-through halter top and a red mini skirt with black stiletto heels. I wish I could wear something like that. I'd never feel comfortable wearing something as revealing as she does, but she's fearless that way, "Well, okay, let me get my boots on, and we can go. Aaron will pick us up here in about fifteen minutes."

I walk over to my closet to fish out a pair of black boots, completing my ensemble of a black halter top with a blue jean skirt; I quickly slip them on. Afterward, Lacy and I trudge downstairs to wait for Aaron to pick us up.

As we pass by the kitchen, Mom is rinsing the dishes, "Hey, Mom. We are gonna leave here shortly to go to a party. I'll be back tonight," I tell her as I adjust my halter top to cover my bosom.

Mom appears to be a little irritated as she disapprovingly eyes my outfit, "You are going to a party dressed like that?"

I look down at my clothes, "Yeah, why?"

"It's a little too sexy and revealing for a girl who is engaged to be married. That's just my opinion." She blurts out before passive-aggressively turning away from us to vigorously scrub the dish in her hand.

Lacy and I turn to look at each other, mouths gaping, eyes wide, "Well, I'll be with Aaron tonight, so no worries." I choke out.

Mom doesn't respond, so I reluctantly approach her, giving her a peck on the cheek as she continues rinsing the same dish. I know she's got a ton she'd like to say to me, but she won't.

Lacy and I stroll into the living room where my stepdad, Chuck, is sitting on the sofa. My biological father was killed in a motorcycle accident when I was twelve, but I never knew him. Chuck raised me as his own from day one; he's the only father I've ever known. Mom began to date Chuck when she was still pregnant with me. My Mom is a successful real estate agent, and Chuck is a Mortgage Broker. That's how they met through business interactions. "Hey Dad, we are going to a party. See you later."

He glances back at us, "Bye, sis, see ya. Bye Lacy. You girls be careful. "

"Okay, bye." Lacy timidly waves her hand.