Chapter 5 - Gettin In Good With Momma

The next morning, I'm woken up to the sound of my alarm. I cheerfully hop out of bed, stumbling into the shower. After I've finished washing, I jump out of the shower, wrap a towel around my body and my hair before traipsing down the hallway, into my room, and over to the closet to choose an outfit. I slip on a multi-colored maxi dress, fix my hair, and add some makeup. I am feeling some type of way today. It feels nice not to be consumed with heartbreak.

I tiptoe downstairs to grab some breakfast. Aunt Las is on her usual routine of drinking coffee at the kitchen table. She looks up as she notices that I have entered the kitchen, "Morning Coliebell. You can drive separately today if you want, so you don't need to stay until 5:00 pm. Although the ladies would love to have you all day, you are free to leave around 3:00 pm. How does that sound?"

"Sure, I'll drive in separate. I wanted to spend some time with Brie after work anyway."

I grab a blueberry muffin and chocolate milk for breakfast, scarfing it down before leaving for work shortly after. As soon as I walk through the front doors, I'm greeted right away by the ladies in the front lobby, "There's our girl!" Miss Norma calls out.

I walk over to where she is seated, "Good morning Miss Norma," I greet her as I lean over to hug her, "I have a lot planned today. I brought some games and puzzles for us to play. I also figured we could do some chair exercises this afternoon."

I could tell by the look on her face; she had something else on her mind. She leans in to whisper in my ear, "So how was your picnic yesterday with my boy?"

"Oh, it was nice; he was nothing but a gentleman."

She pats my arm, "Good to hear, honey. We raise our boys right here."

Mmm... They sure do! I walk over to the table to get things set up for our activities today and look up to find Nova approaching me, "Hi, darlin, good to see you."

"Good morning Nova."

"Would you like to come over for dinner tonight? I'm making lasagna and my world-famous lemon meringue pie. I'd love to visit with you."

Hmm... I wonder what her intentions are? "That sounds nice. What time should I stop by?"

"How about 6:00 pm?"

"Sure, sounds great. If you don't mind, write down your address for me, and I'll be there."

She writes her address down on a sticky note and hands it to me before walking back to her med cart to finish passing the medications.

After I get set up, I rush to the bathroom before I get my day started. As soon as I turn the corner, I run into Ethan, "Oh, gosh, excuse me, Ethan," I belt out.

He inhales audibly, stepping closer towards me before he reaches up to brush my hair back off my shoulders. Appalled at his actions, I scoff, stepping backward away from him. He belts out with a high-pitched maniacal laugh before darting past me down the hallway. Holy shit! What the fuck was that?! He is one strange individual! I continue towards the restroom, attempting to brush it off.

Throughout the day, I had no issues with keeping the ladies entertained. Apparently, they are content just spending time with me. As 3:00 pm approaches, I bid my farewell to everyone and head to the house.

I arrive at the house to find that Brie is curled up with an afghan on the sofa, watching one of our favorite movies, Wayne's World. I excitedly curl up at the other end of the sofa, and we spend the rest of the afternoon imitating the character's lines from the movie. She does the best Garth imitation I have ever seen. We have so much fun together; she's the little sister I never had.