Chapter 17 - The Joys Of Nursing School

SEVERAL MONTHS LATER...

Mariah's POV

Oh my God, I feel like I'm drowning. It is so hard to juggle married life, Mom life, and nursing school. There is so much work and studying to do, on top of clinicals. Nursing school is a pain in my ass! I cannot wait to be done with this. I did meet a friend throughout this whole mess. Her name is Lucy Culligan, and she lives here in town. She actually hit on me at first. I politely refused her advances, and we have become best friends ever since. I don't mind that she is gay. It's nice not to have to worry about straight girl drama. Lord knows I've had enough of that for one lifetime.

Dylan is having a tough time dealing with the constant struggle that consumes me currently trying to keep up with assignments and keeping my grades above 78% and clinicals. He hates to see me stressed out. He's had to step up and take over a lot of the responsibilities around the house. My instructor told me that the ones who will hold you back from obtaining your degree are your mothers and your lovers. In my case, this did not occur, thankfully. My mother has been an ongoing advocate in obtaining my degree. I did have to take a couple of classes over again since they were not transferable from where I attended prior. Dylan has been extremely helpful, and so has his mother and sister. Aunt Las has also tried to help with the baby and with my studies. She's a wealth of knowledge, that woman.

I decided to invite Lucy over to study for our final that's happening next week. She lives with her Mom a few streets over, so she accepted the invite. Right now, I'm heading to Nova's house to pick up Georgia, run back home to make dinner before Dylan gets home, and Lucy gets there so we can study after that.

I pull up at Nova's house and walk up to the porch to knock on the front door. She answers with Georgia in her arms. Her eyes get big when she sees me, "Mommy!" she calls out with a big smile as she reaches out her arms to me.

"Hi, baby! Were you good for Nana today?" I ask as I reach out for her.

"Yes! Nana pwayed dress up wif me," She says.

I look at Nova, "Nana played dress up? How fun!"

Nova smiles, "Yep, we were princesses for the day, weren't we, Gigi?" she says as she pats Georgia's leg.

"I was Cindawella Mommy."

"Ahh, my favorite princess," I tell her as I kiss her forehead.

I look back at Nova, "Thank you so much, Nova, for watching her for me today."

"It's my pleasure, dear. I took weekends at work so I could be home to watch my grandbaby. I know it's a struggle to get through nursing school. I'm very proud of you. You are almost there."

"Yes, one more final next week, and I'm finished. Those clinicals and all that work really made things difficult for a while. I really appreciate you all," I tell her.

"No problem, darling. It will be worth it, I promise."

She hands Georgia's bag to me before leaving. I carry her, putting her in the Jeep, and drive back home.

Once I get home, I set Georgia at the table with her crayons and coloring books to keep her occupied while I get dinner ready. I'm making spaghetti and meatballs tonight. I decide to call Dylan up to remind him of Lucy coming over, so I pick up the phone to dial his number, "Hey, sweetie," He answers.

"Hey baby, how's your day?" I ask.

"Oh, it's going. At least it's not scorching hot this time of year."

"Yeah, I can see how that makes it rough."

"So, what are you wearing?" he asks.

"Ha! You are ate up, babe!"